PUBLISHED: 15:53 31 October 2018 | UPDATED: 16:03 31 October 2018
Youngsters from Fairhaven Primary School, South Walsham are learning to read with help from a daschund called Lily. Picture: Nick Butcher
Archant © 2018
Time to paws for book time!
Lily the miniature dachshund is helping pupils at a primary school enjoy reading and growing in confidence.
The tiny pup sits with two groups and key stage two students at Fairhaven Primary School in South Walsham every Wednesday while they read, to help with their confidence.
Lily is part of Pets as Therapy, a scheme which uses dogs to provide comfort, encourage positive social behaviours, enhance self-esteem, motivate speech and inspire young people to have fun.
Janice Dix, headteacher at Fairhaven Primary, said: “We know that reading is a vital and very important part of learning, when we found Pets As Therapy we pursued it in the hope of encouraging more of our children to read and be more confident doing so.
“The children have been very keen to read with Lily and are very engaged throughout the session as they know they will be able to fuss her at the end.”
To find out more about Pets for Therapy visit: www.petsastherapy.org.
- 8 pupils accused of stealing school laptops in Awendo
- Vomiting bug outbreak at school sees 60 kids struck down and health officials called in
- Bake Off winner Nadiya Hussain says reading helped her mental health as she backs our Books For Schools campaign
- Boy, 10, branded 'child monster' deemed 'too difficult for school'
- Author of Alex Rider spy series backs our mission to get kids reading with Books for Schools campaign
- SBMC: What Bauchi can learn from Kano to increase girl child enrolment in basic schools
- Norovirus outbreak alert as schools and hospitals close in first wave of winter vomiting bug – the signs to watch for
- General election: Shouts of 'Boris Out' as Johnson visits school children
- Kids being sent to school with cold McDonald’s Happy Meals as packed lunch, says shocked teacher
- Boris Johnson corrects young schoolboy who mistakes Hulk's pecs for 'boobies'
- Japanese father fulfills his daughter’s dream
- Lagos SUBEB boss seeks collaboration of stakeholders in teachers’ recruitment
- Mum thought her football-mad son, 9, had a cold - then he died two days later
- Prince Harry gets in parenting practice as he meets adorable kids with Meghan Markle
- Meghan Markle's assistant rushes to her aid after wardrobe mishap
- Meghan Markle braves snow in towering heels as she visits Bristol with Prince Harry
- Four arrested as they prepare girl for the ‘cut’ in Meru
- Obaseki may need miracle to win reelection if . . .Oshiomhole opens up on his quarrel with his successor
- UK weather: Snow, rain and ice warnings with flood-hit communities braced for deluge
- Low-budget Zombie flick Little Monsters isn’t scary but borrows humour from Shaun Of The Dead
Lily the minature dachsund helps Fairhaven Primary School pupils read have 482 words, post on www.edp24.co.uk at October 31, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.