The tournament attracts leading chess players in the world, including 20 grandmasters. The winner will receive US$66,000, a considerable amount for a chess tournament
Liem is the No 14 seed at the tournament.
The chess player from Ho Chi Minh City experienced a successful 2018 Chess Olympiad that recently concluded in Batumi, Georgia. Liem helped Vietnam’s male team to finish 7th, the highest rank achieved for a Vietnamese team.
His achievement in the 2018 Chess Olympiad brought him back into the top 30 in the world’s rankings with an Elo rating of 2,721.
The top 30 are tightly bunched together with World number one Magnus Carlsen’s Elo rating just being around a hundred points higher than Liem at 2,839.
- Chess | Anand adds to Firouzja’s woes
- Tata Steel Masters Chess | Caruana ensures title with a round to spare
- A blend of chess and tourism on Vembanad Lake
- Millionaire Chess Festival: Olape reigns supreme
- SBB Research Group Sponsors Greater Chicago K-12 Chess Championship for Sixth Year
- Chess Houseboat 2020 begins
- Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey sign deal with UK over post-Brexit trade
- Costa Rica downs Panama 6-1 in Olympic qualifying tournament
- Ovechkin to Crosby, Kucherov’s hat trick, more from 2018 All-Star Game
- Minnesota man exposed as commander of Nazi-led unit dies