When Mark Cuban calls, Elon Musk listens.
Within hours of rejecting a settlement offer from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission related to a charge that he misled Tesla investors , Musk received a phone call from Cuban that apparently led him to change his mind. Cuban called the Tesla founder late at night on September 27–at the request of one of Musk’s lawyers–to try to persuade Musk to settle with the SEC, The Wall Street Journal reports .
Musk was facing charges that his August 7 tweet about having secured enough funding to take Tesla private was misleading. Musk’s lawyer, Chris Clark, had also represented Cuban a decade ago on his own five-year legal battle with the SEC , over insider trading charges. Cuban won the suit in the end, but he warned Musk that a multiyear court fight “would take him away from managing his companies,” according to the report.
“I explained where the SEC used questionable practices in my case, and how he could expect the same,” Cuban told WSJ . “I asked him if he could name five people who had settled with the SEC, knowing he wouldn’t be able to name any.” Cuban and Tesla both declined to comment.
The SEC settlement–which has yet to be finalized–would force Musk to step down as Tesla’s chairman for three years and pay a $20 million fine, though he would retain a seat on the company’s board. Tesla also agreed to pay a $20 million fine.
On Thursday, U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan, who is tasked to approve the settlement, asked the SEC and Musk to write a joint letter to explain why the terms were “fair and reasonable” given the charges. The letter is due on October 11.
- Elon Musk's SEC fight: Here's what could happen next
- Elon Musk to step down as chair of Tesla board, settles with SEC for $20 million
- US Judge Orders Tesla CEO Elon Musk, SEC to Settle Tweet Dispute
- I Love That Elon Musk Can’t Stop Tweeting. The SEC Does Not.
- What is Elon Musk’s net worth and how did he make so much money?
- SEC fraud suit against Elon Musk threatens to unravel Tesla
- Elon Musk gets off the ropes with SEC settlement, but Tesla still has a bruising fight ahead
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk attends contempt-of-court hearing
- SEC: Elon Musk's failure to comply with court order over his tweets is 'stunning'
- Judge orders Elon Musk, SEC to put ‘reasonableness pants’ on, settle SEC claims
- Tesla's Elon Musk steps up his Twitter attacks on SEC regulators
- Judge orders Elon Musk to put ‘reasonableness pants’ on, settle SEC claims
- Elon Musk keeps slamming the SEC on Twitter. He has 2 weeks to respond in court
- Elon Musk defends his Tesla tweets and says SEC is overreaching
- Elon Musk, SEC told to meet for at least 1 hour about tweets
- Elon Musk teases Tesla announcement
- SEC seeks Elon Musk contempt charges after Tesla tweet
- Elon Musk's defence against contempt of court claim 'borders on ridiculous'
- Elon Musk's entrepreneurial race between technology and business troubles
- Elon Musk's security clearance reportedly under review
How Mark Cuban Convinced Elon Musk to Settle With the SEC have 503 words, post on www.inc.com at October 5, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.