October 17, 2018 | 09:23 am GMT+7
The outer walls of the Phan Dinh Phung High School now carry 28 beautiful murals of Hanoi icons.
The Phan Dinh Phung High School, located in Hanoi’s Ba Dinh District, was formerly a male pedagogical institute (École Normale d’instituteur) used to train elementary teachers under the French colonial regime.
In 1923, it became the Indochina College Primary school (École Primaire Superieur Indochinoise, aka E.P.S.I). The present Phan Dinh Phung High School was founded on March 10, 1973 and later on merged with Hoang Dieu High School in 1996.
The school is celebrating its 45th birthday with an art project in which a group of artists paint murals of iconic Hanoi landmarks on its compound walls.
It has an area of 11,000 square meters and its long walls face major streets like Cua Bac, Phan Dinh Phung and Quan Thanh, giving the artists a spacious enough canvas to exhibit their talent and for the public to appreciate it.
The project began on October 8 and three artists worked tirelessly for about 10 days.
Three paintings of the ancient gate, the One Pillar Pagoda and the Dong Xuan Market.
Hanoi’s One Pillar Pagoda has been painted on a 1.7 meter high wall, using its yellow background. This unique Buddhist temple is considered one of Vietnam’s most iconic.
The Hanoi Opera House was built by the French colonial administration in the early 20th century.
The Long Bien Bridge is a big part of Hanoi’s history. The bridge went through both major wars against the French and Americans. Being bombed more than 10 times has only strengthened its historical importance.
Hanoi had many rivers and lakes within the city and waterway travel was an important part of daily life in the capital city.
There are still some wall sections to be painted, but they are already a public attraction in this age of smartphones and selfies.
A woman in a colorful traditional long dress ao dai poses in front of a mural.
- ‘Fame’ high school gets well-liked pianist to replace ousted principal
- High School Cancels Football Season, Fires Coaching Staff After Suspended Player Suits Up With New Identity
- Week 7: Complete list of high-school football scores from around Washington
- Test-score manipulation scandal hits Vietnam’s national high school exam
- Heroic moment a high school football coach, 27, disarms and HUGS student, 19, who brought a shotgun into class because he wanted to kill himself following a break-up
- Lindsay Place High School community worries about its future
- PhillyVoice high school football Top 10: St. Joe Prep defensive tackle Anthony Leneghan finds himself in rare national company
- Fake gun causes lockdown at San Antonio high school
- The Power Struggle At Georgetown Goes Back To A Petty, 50-Year-Old D.C. High School Hoops Feud
- Wayne State University offers free tuition to Detroit high school graduates, others starting in 2020