In Vietnam, buying and selling foreign currencies on the free market is against the law. Photo by VnExpress/Le Chi Lawyers say a VND90 million ($3,855) fine for exchanging $100 in a gold shop is disproportionate and unreasonable. The administrative fine was levied by the People’s Committee of Can Tho on Nguyen Ca Re, a 38-year-old electrician. The VND2.3 million ($98.48) that Re received from the shop for the $100 note was also confiscated. Meanwhile, the gold shop was fined VND295 million ($12,630) for several violations, including the $100 exchange. The $100 note was also seized. Re said that he had been given the $100 by a relative. Late last year, he’d taken the note to a gold shop and was caught red handed by police officers. The police later issued an official record of violations after months of working with Re. Re said: “Before, I’ve always brought dollar notes to exchange at gold shops without any trouble.” He said that with his monthly salary of VND4 million ($171.21), he doesn’t know how to get the money to pay the VND 90 million fine. Current regulations ban the buying and selling of foreign currencies, but gold shops have for long been… Read full this story
- Eddie Gallagher's lawyers slam the Navy for 'violating his constitutional rights' and say their 'retaliation' attempt to strip him of his trident is 'the worst thing they can do'
- Speedboat killer Jack Shepherd in court with lawyer slamming 'politically motivated' case
- The $100 notes you DON'T want in your pocket: The intricate details that show your money is fake - and they're nearly impossible to spot
- Driver fined £100 at BP for taking too long
- 'Go to the dentist and get fined £100'
- Vietnam reduces penalties for illegal currency exchange
- They had one job! Eagle-eyed Australian spots a TYPO on the country's new $50 note
- Vietnam scraps fine for unlicensed forex transactions valued below $1,000
- Vietnam man fined for exchanging dollar bill at local gold shop
- Decree details fines on monetary-banking violations
Excessive: Lawyers slam $3,855 fine for $100 note exchange have 339 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at October 24, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.