England will be reunited with Croatia for the first time since their World Cup semi-final heartbreak in the Three Lions’ first Nations League away match.
Goals from Ivan Perisic and Mario Mandzukic ended England’s dream of reaching their first World Cup final since 1966, though Croatia’s joy was short-lived as France went on to beat them 4-2 to lift the trophy in Moscow.
Since that semi-final defeat, Gareth Southgate has been rewarded with a new contract and has added a host of new faces to his squad as he looks to continue building for the future.
Follow all the action with Standard Sport’s LIVE blog!
So we’re only over three hours away from kick-off in Rijeka, so we’ve taken a look at how Croatia and England could line up tonight.
Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic took the unusual step of naming his entire XI in yesterday’s press conference, attempting to show that he is relaxed ahead of the Nations League clash.
Gareth Southgate, meanwhile, has overhauled his squad with a number of new arrivals such as Jadon Sancho, Mason Mount and Lewis Dunk all receiving their first call-ups. But will any of the youngsters feature tonight?
Standard Sport predicted line-ups:
Croatia (4-3-3): Livakovic; Jedvaj, Vida, Lovren, Pivaric; Kovacic, Modric, Rakitic; Perisic, Kramaric, Rebic
Hello and welcome to Standard Sport’s LIVE coverage of tonight’s Uefa Nations League clash between Croatia and England!
Can’t see the blog? Click here for the desktop version.
TV, online and live stream coverage
The match will be shown live on Sky Sports’ Main Event channel and is available via Now TV with a day pass on offer for £7.99. Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via SkyGo and the SkyGo app.
Why is Croatia vs England being played behind closed doors?
The ban on supporters attending is part of a punishment handed down to Croatia after a swastika was marked onto the pitch before a Euro 2016 qualifier against Italy back in June 2015 – a match that was also played behind closed doors due to a previous incident of racist chanting.
Croatia were ordered to play their next two matches in an empty stadium as a result, serving the first game of that ban against Bulgaria in October 2015.
They have not played in any Uefa-sanctioned home matches since then, with England the first team to visit the World Cup runners-up in a Uefa competition since the Bulgaria match.
Head to head
Croatia and England have met eight times in the past with the Three Lions winning half of those meetings. Croatia have three victories with one draw between the two.
Lewis Dunk was called into the England squad to replace Burnley’s James Tarkowski on Sunday evening, days after signing a new five-year deal with Brighton.
He became the fourth player to receive a first senior call up in time for the games against Croatia and Spain after Jadon Sancho, Mason Mount and James Maddison were named in the original squad last week.
Sancho, who left Manchester City to join Borussia Dortmund in the summer of 2017, has provided nine assists in 10 appearances this season, helping his side climb to the summit of the Bundesliga after seven matches.
One of England’s tormentors-in-chief Mario Mandzukic retired from international duty following the World Cup. Mateo Kovacic, who did not making an appearance for Croatia beyond the round of 16 stage during the summer, will be hopeful of a starting berth after a bright start to his season at Chelsea.
Mario Pasalic, who left the Blues on loan again this summer to join Atalanta, is also among the midfield options.
- What is the UEFA Nations League and when do England play?
- The UEFA Nations League
- Croatia vs England kick off time, TV details, teams news, odds and more
- UEFA Nations League: Everything you need to know as England's World Cup comes to an end in Russia
- World Cup 2018 live: Croatia vs England build-up and latest news ahead of semi-final
- When is the UEFA Nations League and how does it work?
- Manchester City vs Huddersfield Town, Premier League: live
- Liverpool vs Manchester City, Champions League: live score updates
- Manchester United vs Swansea City, Premier League: live score updates
- Everton vs Manchester City, Premier League: live score updates
- Jubilant Croatia vs. England in despair: How semifinal result was met at home
- Watch South Africa vs England rugby: Live stream online, kick-off time, what TV channel and team news for third Test 2018
- Peru vs Scotland: What TV channel, live stream, kick-off time and team news with Paolo Guerrero serving ban
- Croatia vs Nigeria: Live stream, TV channel, kick-off time and team news for the World Cup clash
- Croatia 2 England 1 (aet): Three Lions heartache as Mario Mandzukic extra-time goal ends Russia 2018 dreams
- South Africa vs England: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time
- South Africa vs England rugby uinion: Kick-off time, live stream, what TV channel and team news for second test match 2018
- What TV channel is Colombia vs England on?
- Springboks vs England rugby: Live stream, kick-off time, TV channel, and team news for third Test 2018
- South Africa vs England rugby 2018: What TV channel, kick-off time, live stream and team news for first test at Ellis Park
Croatia vs England: Uefa Nations League – LIVE! have 880 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at October 12, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.