The movie will also compete in the New Directors competition at the San Sebastian Film Festival, opening from September 21-29 in the Spanish city of Donostia-San Sebastián. Screening young filmmakers’ first or second works, New Directors are committed to making new names from Europe, Asia and Latin America better known to a broader audience.
In October, the picture will be shown at Busan International Film Festival’s “A Window on Asian Cinema”.
The film starring Tran Nu Yen Khe, Nhu Quynh, Maya, Lam Thanh My is about a struggle of a 14-year old girl who is given away in an arranged marriage and becomes the third wife to her older husband in late 19th century rural Vietnam.
The Third Wife won the Best Art Film Project at the 2015 Autumn Cinema Meeting in Da Nang; the Non-Hong Kong Project Award and Post-Production Award at the Hong Kong-Asia Film Financing Forum, the White Light Post-Production Award at the same event in 2016; a post-production grant from the Jerome Foundation in New York in 2017.
The 43rd annual Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) is currently taking place from September 6 to 16.
By VAN TUAN – Translated by Kim Khanh
- Sarajevo film festival to honor Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan
- Festival-goers arrive in Suffolk for three days of music, comedy, dance and theatre
- Happy Mondays to headline Northumberland’s Lindisfarne Festival
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2018 – when does it start? Dates, tickets, programme and highlights
- Costco Easter 2018 opening hours – bank holiday Monday opening times
- A Star Wars festival is coming to Ireland and it sounds absolutely epic
- Celtronic Festival 2018: No phones on the dance floor rule enforced
- Huddersfield Food and Drink Festival live bands revealed
- Where is Humans filmed? Hertfordshire filming locations for series three of Channel 4 show
- The off-screen heroes behind Marvel magic