SYCAMORE – City officials will take a look at what tourism is looking like in Sycamore during the City Council meeting Monday.
City Manager Brian Gregory said RoseMarie Treml, executive director for the Sycamore Chamber of Commerce, will update the Council on marketing and outreach activities designed to promote tourism and economic development.
Gregory said tourism dollars in DeKalb County grew by $98.8 million, or 5.5 percent, in 2017. He said there was a similar growth statewide.
“It’s an industry that continues to grow in Illinois,” Gregory said.
Gregory said motel tax receipts were up 4.7 percent in fiscal 2018, which goes from May 1 through April 30. He said he believes the increase is due to the business climate being strong in the city and with special events happening almost every weekend in the warm weather months.
“It’s a place where not only our residents are able to come and socialize, but also bring friends and family outside of the community,” Gregory said.
Gregory said one of the events that draws thousands of visitors to Sycamore is Pumpkin Fest, which runs Oct. 24 through 28 this year.
“Whenever I run into people from out of the area and I tell them I’m from Sycamore, many times they mention, ‘Oh, the Pumpkin Fest! We come to that every year,'” Gregory said.
A line item regarding closed session for pending litigation is also on the agenda for Monday’s meeting. Gregory declined comment on details regarding the closed session but said there will be no recommendation to vote on anything after the agenda’s considerations.
The City Council meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Monday at the Sycamore Center, 308 W. State St.
- National Space Council to Talk Regulatory Reform in Meeting This Week
- Council Discusses Space Threats and Opportunities Posed by China
- NASa Advisory Council Recommends Review of Planetary Protection Policies
- A Bid to Solve California’s Housing Crisis Could Redraw How Cities Grow
- Brookhaven Participating In Georgia Cities Week
- Interview with Andrea Vaccari, research associate at MIT's SENSEable City Laboratory
- New York City moves to create accountability for algorithms
- BT develops 15cm mobile mast alternative for UK cities
- Families fighting Hackney Council over special educational needs cuts get High Court date
- Five ways to make meetings bearable
- Airbnb hosts face fees in city worried about affordable housing
- Councillors back campaign to protect city’s urgent care services
- Update: Google wins approval to give home city Wi-Fi access
- This cafe is helping socially isolated older people in Leeds as figures say 37,000 are 'lonely' in city
- Where business goals meet social gains
- San Diego pledges to ramp up efforts to eliminate pedestrian deaths
- As More Cities Push For Paid Sick Leave, States Push Back
- Kate Middleton meets a royal fan who grabbed her HAIR as she and Prince William met Dundee school kids
- West U councilwoman says she had to leave home, skip meeting after alleged outburst
- Microsoft SharePoint: Project Management Answer for a Multi-Million Dollar Construction Effort
Tourism increase efforts to be discussed during City Council meeting have 471 words, post on www.daily-chronicle.com at September 30, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.