The Indian women’s cricket team served out a dominant performance to register a nine-wicket win against Sri Lanka in the opening One-day International (ODI) match on Tuesday at Galle. Winning the toss, Sri Lanka opted to bat and were bowled out for a paltry 98. Veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami returned with figures of 2/13 in eight overs, while Mansi Joshi, who returned to the squad after an injury layoff, was the pick of the bowlers as she returned with the figures of 3/16 in 6.1 overs.
India, in reply, overhauled the target in just 19.5 overs. Openers Smriti Mandhana (73*) and Punam Raut (24) strung together a 96-run partnership to help India reach the target without much trouble.
Smriti Mandhana, who had a brilliant outing with Western Storm in the Women’s Super League earlier this year, continued her fine form as she scored her 12th ODI fifty. While Smriti did most of the scoring, Punam Raut supported her well by rotating the strike.
With just four runs required for India to win the match, Inoka Ranaweera struck to dismiss Punam.
By virtue of this victory, India jumped one spot to No.5 in the ICC Women’s Championship table.
For Sri Lanka, only three batters were able to reach the double figure run mark. Chamari Atapattu (33 off 93 balls), Dilani Manodara (12 off 19 balls), Sripali Weerakkody (26 off 32 balls).
Chamari Atapattu stitched together a 29-run partnership with Weerakkody to steady the Sri Lankan innings but Deepti Sharma dismissed the Sri Lankan captain to break the partnership. Other than this, the 19-run stand between Atapattu and Dilani Manodara was the only glimmer of hope for the hosts.
The second ODI will be played at the same venue on September on 13.
- Live Updates: Blackcaps vs Sri Lanka, Third ODI
- Blackcaps vs Sri Lanka: Capital shift boosts Jimmy Neesham's resurgence
- Blackcaps vs Sri Lanka: Henry Nicholls savouring more ODI responsibility
- Live updates: Blackcaps vs Sri Lanka – second one-day international
- Blackcaps vs Sri Lanka: Adapting back to home conditions key for test series
- Blackcaps vs Sri Lanka: Martin Guptill ready to impress in NZ return
- Blackcaps vs India: New Zealand looks forward after dominant Sri Lanka series
- Paine tells bowlers to bounce out Sri Lanka after humbling loss
- England would be wise to wear down a West Indies team denuded of its most dynamic talent
- England capitulate again as West Indies wrap up thumping 381-run win in first Test
- Even a winning West Indies team can't draw home crowds to St Lucia as Test cricket left to fend for itself
- Live Updates: Blackcaps vs India, Second ODI
- Live Updates: Blackcaps vs India, Third ODI
- Live Updates: Blackcaps vs India, Fourth ODI
- Blackcaps vs India: Ken Rutherford calls for change ahead of Cricket World Cup
- Blackcaps vs Bangladesh: Patience key for Martin Guptill in return from back injury
- Blackcaps vs India: Coach Gary Stead backs struggling batsmen to fire
- Blackcaps vs India: Trent Boult satisfied with historic Hamilton win
- Blackcaps vs India: Opening capitulation leaves NZ plenty to fix
- Blackcaps vs India: Jimmy Neesham, Todd Astle recalled for final two one-dayers
Smriti Mandhana, Bowlers Guide Indian Women's Team To Easy Win vs Sri Lanka in 1st ODI have 670 words, post on sports.ndtv.com at September 11, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.