Russian Permanent Representative to International Organizations in Vienna Mikhail Ulyanov said that Moscow will seek the adoption of its draft resolution on the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) safeguards.
According to the diplomat, the IAEA safeguards resolution is the most important issue for Russia.
“The IAEA safeguards are the proper mechanism for verifying member states’ compliance with their obligations. Over the past several years, significant changes have been made in this area. We do not understand everything here. The Russian side believes that this process should be more understandable for member states, more transparent,” Sputnik cited Ulyanov as saying.
He added that the EU member states had also prepared their draft resolution.
The 62nd session of the General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has opened today in Vienna. During the week, until September 21, representatives for about 170 countries will discuss the development of nuclear energy, nuclear security problems and the guarantees under the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.
The General Conference will again become the main venue of the international community for discussing strategic issues and holding scientific debates in the nuclear energy sphere: the IAEA will sum up the results of work in 2017, renew its budget and set future priorities. The goal of the event is to galvanize the discussion of science-technical issues under the IAEA activity, namely the role of nuclear energy in the restriction of carbon dioxide emissions, and evaluate the achieved changes.
The session participants will study the increased effectiveness of the IAEA guarantees regime in accordance with the Non-Proliferation Treaty and the observance of the IAEA guarantees in the Middle East. The delegates will share their views in the sphere of nuclear and radiation security, psychical protection of nuclear materials and the safe handling of radioactive wastes.
- Iran says IAEA resolution lacks credibility, effectiveness
- Iran invites IAEA inspectors to visit its nuclear establishments
- Syria under fresh pressure as new draft looms at UN
- UN watchdog seeks ideas to get Israel to join nuclear treaty
- Iran limits cooperation with IAEA after sanctions
- IAEA may adopt resolution on Iran as soon as on Friday: Russian FM
- Social News 17/8
- Political News Headlines 15/5
- Political News 29/9
- Vietnam, other developing nations could lose as US seeks largesse for Big Pharma
- October 23-29: Fourth plenary session of the 14th National Assembly opens Most Recent News
- Political News Headlines 29/6
- Social News 28/9
- Social News 7/5
- Iran’s nod to IAEA monitor rights sets path for nuclear deal
- Political News Headlines 2/7
- Political News Headlines 29/5
- Political News Headlines 30/5
- Political News 27/8
- Social News 8/10
News.Az — Your Window to the RegionRussia to seek adoption of its draft resolution on IAEA safeguards have 413 words, post on news.az at September 17, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.