Ben Tre (VNA) – The Vietnam-Cuba Friendship Association (VCFA), in collaboration with the provincial Ben Tre People’s Committee, on September 26 organised a ceremony to mark the 55th anniversary of the Cuban Committee for Solidarity with South Vietnam.
The event was attended by Cuban Consul General in Ho Chi Minh City Indira Lopez Arguelles, VCFA Vice President Nguyen Duy Cuong, and over 200 people from localities across the nation.
Speaking at the ceremony, Cuong said that this was an opportunity for Vietnamese people to express their gratitude for Cuba’s support during the country’s struggle for independence.
Cuba was the first country to establish a solidarity organisation with Vietnam, he highlighted, adding that the Cuban Committee for Solidarity with South Vietnam, later called the Cuba-Vietnam Friendship Association, was set up on September 25, 1963 under the instruction of Cuban Commander-in-Chief Fidel Castro, who was serving as Prime Minister of the American nation at the time.
He further underlined that the VCFA has worked to mobilise Vietnamese people to promote support for Cuba in the fight against embargoes, as well as efforts in natural disaster recovery and socio-economic development.
Secretary of the provincial Party Committee Phan Van Mai stressed that the special relations between Vietnam and Cuba, whose foundations were laid by President Ho Chi Minh and Cuban leader Fidel Castro, must be preserved and treasured by generations of people from both countries.
Luong Hoa commune, holding a twin partnership with Cuba’s Moncada village, is honoured to contribute to the friendship and solidarity between the two nations, he added.
Meanwhile, the Cuban Consul General underlined the goals set by both nations, in particular the consolidation of historical relations and fostering of bilateral cooperation in various sectors. –VNA
- Fury as Labour official hits out at Jewish MP Louise Ellman who quit after 55 years over 'anti-Semitism' and accuses her of whipping up panic over a Jeremy Corbyn government
- Dramatic moment a brave 55-year-old shop assistant tackles a robber half her age prompting the crook to run off without his jacket
- Kinzinger: Syria ‘Reminds Me of Somalia and South Vietnam’
- 55 Years of Integrated Circuits: The Chip Changed Everything
- He's 92, she's 86, and their 'walk to the willow' near Etobicoke Creek is a favourite of Brampton couple married 55 years
- Jail for 55-year-old woman who put neighbour through 'a living hell'
- Police Seeking Missing 55-Year-Old Santa Clara Co. Man
- MS-13 member gets 55 years in prison in quadruple slaying
- NASA: The most well-traveled 55-year-old ever
- Body of Missing Five-Year-Old Found in South Carolina Landfill