The three-day festival will include a grand boat procession from a temple in Hue city to Hon Chen sitting on a mountain up the Huong (Perfume) River.
The procession aims to welcome the Thien Y Ana Mother Goddess to the mountain temple for three days of rituals. During that time, mediums will perform rituals inside the temple while thousands will pray and provide offerings to the goddess.
It is a chance for audiences to enjoy chau van music and ritual dances with mediums dressed in colourful, old-style costumes.
However, the crowded temples are not for the faint-hearted during the festival due to the turmoil, heat and thick smoke from the thousands of sticks of incense.
The festival occurs every year in March and July of the lunar calendar. Mother Goddess worship is considered a belief in Vietnam, and has millions of followers. Some believe deeply in the power of the ritual, including its capacity to bring back the souls of the dead to converse with their descendants.
The temple was originally built to worship Goddess Ponagar by the Champa people. When the dynasty’s kings settled down in Thua Thien-Hue, the dynasty’s second king Minh Mang (1820-1841) restored and named it Hoan Chen, which later was misspelled as Hon Chen.
Later, King Dong Khanh (1885-1889) expanded the temple, named it Hue Nam, and facilitated the practice of Mother Goddess worshipping as he believed the Mother Goddess had helped him gain the throne.
However, local residents have continued to call it Hon Chen.-VNS/VNA
- When mother Earth menstruates in Assam
- Summer solstice rituals and traditions – how is the longest day of the year celebrated in the UK and other countries?
- The eclectic line-up coming to Emma Bridgewater for Festival in a Factory!
- Labour’s ‘family friendly’ festival to have drug amnesty bins where revellers can dump their Class As
- Romance, fitness and history on the cards at Sidmouth Literary Festival
- Rituals of Eid
- The Annual Festival of Gnaoua Celebrates its 21st Anniversary.
- I never feared taking risks: Swara Bhaskar
- Bhaiya ji Joshi to participate in Sindhu Darshan Festival at Leh
- Drug-testing facilities should be used at all UK festivals after Mutiny deaths, urge experts
- A week of events in Cambridge, Somerville: Dance festivals, local authors and dada art
- South Africa: Arts and Culture Hosts SA Heritage En Tourism Festival
- Whitley Bay Food and Drink Festival proves to be another tasty success
- Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park annual cultural festival draws crowds
- Alumna’s play explores political turmoil, mother-daughter relationships
- Aarhus literature festival wants internationals to be part of its story
- Police: Mother was on controlled substance during car fire that killed 4-year-old
- She's 6, 'a bright, happy little girl.' Stabbed in Boise. Her brother and mother too.
- Newcastle pub to host Gin Festival with drinks from just £2.50!
- Springfield girl representing Western Mass. as she competes to be named Boston's Miss Puerto Rico Day Festival Pageant Queen
Mother Goddess rituals festival takes place in Hue have 526 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at August 18, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.