Drug addicts return to rehab centre
Pham Minh Tri, director of the provincial Department of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs confirmed on August 12.
At 7.30 pm on August 11, about 10 drug addicts attacked and injured a guard at the centre. At 10 pm, 242 addicts broke down the gate and escaped. The police were brought in and 224 addicts returned to the centre. The locks, gate and fences of the centre are being reinforced after being damaged during the breakout. The managers of the centre are also working with police and the addicts’ families to persuade them to go back.
According to the locals in adjacent communes such as Tam Hiep, Than Cuu Nghia and Long Dinh, they feel scared and shut all windows and door most of the day. One witness said a group of addicts broke into his house to steal clothes and knives.
On August 11, Colonel Ngo Xuan Tu, head of the police department in Chau Thanh District, called for other people to keep calm and call police if they find any of the escapees. The lives of the locals returned to normal the next day, however, many still do not dare to go out at night.
The security at the centre has been criticised since the majority of the drug addicts have criminal records.
- Artist Alison Lapper reveals her drug addict son Parys started smoking cannabis when he was just 11 - eight years before he died of overdose - after school bullies taunted him over her disability
- Tom Hanks' son opens up about drug addiction
- Drug addicts attribute high rate of drug abuse to unemployment, parenting
- Incredible before and after transformation of drug addicts revealed in eye-opening diary charting escape from addiction
- Amy Winehouse's former mother-in-law ''refused to admit'' the singer and her son Blake were drug addicts
- Drug addicts to receive diamorphine twice a day in UK-first scheme
- Probe into prescription drug addiction will be launched amid fears millions of Brits are hooked
- Alison Lapper says dead drug addict son started smoking cannabis aged 11
- Two booked for murder of inmate at rehab centre in Titwala
- EXCLUSIVE - The tragic last days of Lois Lane: drug addicts turned Margot Kidder's Montana home into a meth lab and stole her jewelry before she died in her sleep after a drinking binge