Hancock County Sheriff’s Office releases video from Bayside Park traffic accident
Hancock County Sheriff releases video from Bayside Park accident
August 23, 2018 02:57 PM
A Hancock County sheriff’s K-9 vehicle struck a 7-year-old girl while she was riding a bicycle on West Hinds Street in Bayside Park.
The girl’s injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, but her mother, Sabrina Nixon, is upset and told the Sun Herald the deputy was speeding when his vehicle struck her child on Wednesday.
Sheriff Ricky Adam has disputed the mother’s claims, and released video of the incident on Friday.
“It is my opinion that once the public sees the video, it will be agreed by most that this accident was not only unavoidable by my deputy, but the statements made about speeding, leaving skid marks and having to be flagged down are utterly false,” Adam said in a press release that accompanied the video sent to the media.
Be the first to know.
No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do. And with a digital subscription, you’ll never miss a local story.
Nixon said an adult saw the vehicle hit her daughter, Makaylah Thompson, and flagged down the deputy.
Nixon said she believes the deputy was driving too fast. Residents have complained in the past about speeders, she said.
The posted speed limit on the street is 25 mph. The patrol unit’s in-car camera system and the vehicle’s computer system shows the deputy was traveling between 17 and 19 mph, Adam said.
Video from the deputy’s vehicle shows the deputy was going under the speed limit and that the child pulled in front of him, Adam said.
The girl came from behind a truck parked at the edge of the family’s home and into the street as the deputy was driving by, Adam said. The deputy realized it as it was happening, he said, adding that the mother was not there to see it when it happened.
“There was nothing anybody could do about it,” he said. “It was completely unavoidable.”
Adam said the deputy’s vehicle struck the front tire of the girl’s bike.
“Even the witness said that when she hit the ground, the tire of the bicycle spun her around and the back tire (of the bicycle) rolled over her long hair,” he said. “She was up walking around after it happened.”
“The video clearly shows he was under the speed limit and it clearly shows she came up from behind a truck parked at the end of their house,” Adam said.
Nixon identified the deputy as Collin Freeman, and said he got out of his vehicle, asked the child if she was OK, and he walked across the street to the fire station while on his phone and returned about 10 minutes later and called 911.
In response, Adam said the deputy “called it in immediately to dispatch and went in the fire station to get medics. Most firefighters are paramedics.”
The patrol unit’s GPS system shows the crash happened about 7:07 p.m., while dispatch logs show he called it in about 7:08 p.m., Adam said Friday while releasing the video.
Nixon said her child was taken to two different hospitals. Makaylah apparently suffered bruises and abrasions but was not seriously injured, though a tire mark can be seen on the child’s forehead, the mother said.
“All I know is she was taken to Hancock Medical Center as a precaution,” Adam said.
No action is being taken against Freeman because it was an accident, he said.
“When my deputies are rightful in their actions, I will fully defend them, rising above the exploitation of social media sensationalism,” Adam said.
The accident should serve as a reminder that “we must remain diligent in our supervision of our children,” he said.
- LA County Coroner Releases Inquest Findings In Death Of Andres Guardado
- Matt Hancock joins crowds as Brits hit parks and beaches in Covid lockdown despite stay at home plea
- Family of unarmed man shot to death by Napa County deputy files claim
- VIDEO: Woman Charged with Attempted Murder for Allegedly Hitting Deputy with Stolen Car
- VIDEO: Black Teens Wrongly Accused Detained At Westlake Village Target
- Oakland Woman Dies In Early Morning Contra Costa County Crash
- Placer County Deputy Shoots Driver After Being Dragged By SUV Outside Thunder Valley Casino
- Video Of Carmichael Officer-Involved Shooting Released
- Six inmates at Merced County jail escape using rope made from prison sheets
- Sacramento Family Speaks About What They Say Happened During Deadly Shooting Involving Sheriff’s Deputies
- Cell Phone Video Shows Bullet Holes, Blood Inside Groveland Home After Police Shootout
- Capitol Mob Included Texas Police Officers, A Sheriff’s Lieutenant And A Retired Air Force Colonel
- VIDEO: Truck Overturns on Wisconsin Highway
- Video of woman being 'arrested for sitting on a bench' was 'STAGE-MANAGED by anti-lockdown protesters', Dorset Police claim
- Video shows suspect ram Florida deputy with stolen vehicle
- London, parts of Essex and Hertfordshire go into Tier 3 at a day's notice: Lockdown from midnight TOMORROW after Hancock says new 'faster-spreading variant' of COVID is rampant in South East and daily cases rise by 37% to 20,263
- Huge queues form outside coffee shops and parks are packed as study shows movement is up a third on March lockdown
- More than half of over-80s have now had Covid jabs: Matt Hancock reveals the good news as as he claims we are 'on the home straight' - but Dominic Raab hints all adults might not be vaccinated before September
- ‘More To The Story’: Family Of Man Killed In Carmichael Shootout With Detectives Criticizes Video Released Of Incident
- Every over-50 to get jab by MAY: Ministers reveal new pledge to vaccinate 32m within 16 weeks - as Matt Hancock says 2.3million have had dose already with tally rising by 200,000-a-day
Hancock County Sheriff releases video from Bayside Park accident have 1379 words, post on www.sunherald.com at August 23, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.