The 20-year-old has been in red horm form this season winning the Commonwealth and Asian Games gold medals in this discipline.
At the ongoing Asian Games in Indonesia, Neeraj clinched the yellow metal with a national record throw of 88.06M, the sixth best in the world this season.
However, his task is much easier said than done in Zurich in a world class filed which includes the like of Olympic champion Thomas Roehler of Germany and last year’s winner last year’s winner, Jakub Vadlejch of Czech Republic.
The javelin has been one of the hottest battles of the season 🔥 Which star will be taking home the #DiamondTrophy at #ZurichDL?https://t.co/N0N3wtvpue#DiamondLeague #RoadToTheFinal https://t.co/lkr06e92BB pic.twitter.com/fyLobqQjrm
— IAAF Diamond League (@Diamond_League) August 23, 2018
Rohler threw 93.90M at the IAAF season-opener in Doha, putting him second on the all-time world list, and won two more Diamond League meetings before the final, with the other going to his compatriot Johannes Vetter, who took the world title in London.
Rohler had defeated his compatriots Andreas Hofmann and Vetter this month to win the European javelin title in Berlin. But can defending champion Vadlejch upset the German powers again?
It is against such a quality field that Neeraj has prove his mettle.
Over the next two days, high-octane track and field action will be the order of the day at Zurich’s Letzigrund Stadium.
— IAAF Diamond League (@Diamond_League) August 22, 2018
The field assembled across 16 disciplines – the other 16 will be settled in Brussels on the following night – is due to include 11 Olympic champions, 12 world champions and 11 European champions.
For India, Neeraj will be the cynosure of all eyes, especially after his impressive show in Jakarta. The javelin throw event begins at 8.55pm local time (Friday, 12.25am IST).
(With inputs from IAAF and other Agencies).
- Ace javelin thrower Shivpal Singh rues missing Diamond League
- Olympics-bound Shivpal rues missing Diamond League due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Champions League final 2020 ‘pencilled in’ for August 29 as Uefa plan showdown for when domestic football seasons finish
- Paul Scholes reveals he SLICED Man Utd wonder-goal against Barcelona to secure Champions League final spot in 2008
- Bale recreates iconic Champions League final goal in living room as Real Madrid star attempts ‘2.6 Challenge’ for NHS
- REVIEW: ‘Westworld’ Sets The Stage For An Epic Finale In The Latest Episode ‘Passed Pawn’
- Premier League fans will have to pay for games on Sky and BT when football returns but many others will be free
- NBA 2K League to tip off 2020 season with remote gameplay from May 5; full schedule, where to watch
- 6pm Arsenal news LIVE: Jovic a ‘leading’ target, Ozil set for free transfer, Xhaka on fan ‘hatred’
- 7pm Arsenal news LIVE: Jovic a ‘leading’ target, Ozil set for free transfer, Xhaka on fan ‘hatred’
- Will Liverpool still win the Premier League and what happens if the season is cancelled?
- 11pm Arsenal news LIVE: Cengiz Under-Mkhitaryan swap, Aubameyang and Guendouzi set to leave, Soler a top target
- Kevin De Bruyne hints he could QUIT Man City if Champions League ban is upheld
- Will Liverpool still win Premier League title and what happens if season gets cancelled?
- 4pm Chelsea news LIVE: Rice boost as Man Utd out of race, Jorginho set to go, Fabregas offers to defer entire salary
- 2.15pm Man Utd news LIVE: Bruno Fernandes a ‘warrior’, Sancho transfer LATEST, Rabiot eyed, Berbatov tips Kane move
- When will sports come back? Return of Premier League, Formula 1 and Champions League
- 7.40am Arsenal news LIVE: Ozil set for free transfer, Xhaka on fan hatred, Mari wants permanent deal
- 11pm Arsenal news LIVE: Ozil makes generous donation, Partey transfer LATEST, Kokcu set for ‘either Arsenal or Sevilla’
- Chelsea flop Tiemoue Bakayoko eyed by Sevilla as Lampard looks to recoup some of £40m transfer fee wasted on midfielder
All eyes on Neeraj as stage is set for Diamond League finals in Zurich have 853 words, post on www.mykhel.com at August 29, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.