- U.S. & World News
- Local Stories Only
- Face the State
- Closings and Delays
- Liberty Bank Surprise Squad
- WFSB Mobile
- Do you have a news tip for WFSB?
- Inside Channel 3
- Something’s Brewing
- Birthdays and Anniversaries
- 3 On The Radio
- Science Sunday
- Connecticut Science Center
- Lost and Pound Pets
- Pinpoint Doppler Livestream
- Interactive Radar
- Hurricane Tracker
- Technical Discussion
- 7-Day Forecast
- Pinpoint Doppler Loop
- Closings and Delays
- WFSB Radar
- Maps and Radar
- Weather Bug iCams
- Early Warning Weather Tracker
- Beach and Boating Report
- Early Warning Weather Day
- WFSB Mobile
- Better CT
- Beauty & Style
10-year-old saves newborn when aunt gives birth in bathroom, passes out
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:18 AM EDTUpdated: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:21 AM EDT
(WJLA/CNN) — A 10-year-old Virginia girl helped save her newborn cousin with information she learned from watching YouTube videos.
Chloe Carrion was at home in Fairfax County with her 21-year-old aunt Monday afternoon while her mother was at work.
Her aunt, who chose to remain anonymous, went into the bathroom with stomach pains but had no idea she was in labor.
“She screamed my name she says, ‘I had a baby!’ And I said, ‘No, you didn’t.’ And she said, ‘Yes I did,’” Chloe recalled.
The 10-year-old then rushed to the bathroom, where her aunt had just given birth on the toilet. Then, she Facetimed her mother, April West.
“She told me that her aunt had a baby in her stomach, and I said no she didn’t,” recalled West. “Then, she turned the phone around… and on the camera, I saw this little face.”
Chloe said she remembered watching several YouTube videos about taking care of baby dolls, and she decided to put those skills to work with the real thing.
“The videos helped me with swaddling and cleaning him up from everything,” she said.
Chloe even cut the infant’s umbilical cord, with the help of 911 dispatchers who walked her through it.
“She told me to get something to cut it with, so I got the house scissors,” said Chloe. “And she told me to tell my aunt to stay calm, to swaddle the baby but try to wipe off most of the blood, and to wait for paramedics to arrive and to get my aunt some water.”
West arrived at the house just a few minutes before paramedics.
“Chloe was just standing at the front door with the baby swaddled, and she was rocking him back and forth,” said West. “I’m very proud of her. She was so brave. Even as an adult, I don’t think I could have done what she did.”
The family said Chloe’s aunt and the newborn were taken to a hospital in Fairfax, where both mother and baby are said to be doing well.
As for why Chloe’s aunt hadn’t told anyone about her pregnancy, relatives said she was scared and overwhelmed. But they say she has every intention of raising the child.
She even let Chloe name the baby: a healthy little boy they’ll call Isaac.
TM & © 2017 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
- 'Do you need help?' Hero waitress saves 11-year-old boy from his 'abusive' parents by passing him a note during meal
- 'My emotions are all over the place': Kate Ferdinand admits she is feeling 'overwhelmed' but is slowly recovering from giving birth to her baby boy Cree
- Family's heartbreak as mum dies suddenly just 11 days after giving birth to fourth child
- Mum pregnant with triplets devastated after catching Covid-19 days before giving birth
- Woman, 33, who was told her ovaries were 'dead' following a breast cancer diagnosis gives birth to her second child - and says changing her diet helped her fall pregnant
- Russian woman, 35, gives birth to baby girl fathered by her 21-year-old stepson - who she married following her divorce from his father, 45, after 10 years together
- Shot and stabbed to death just yards from home: Boy, 15, is 'killed by 14-year-old’ near his house on suburban road after paramedics battled to save his life in front of horrified neighbours
- Mum, 26, told she's dying of breast cancer just weeks after giving birth
- Lord Sumption suggests NHS doctors would choose to save a 25-year-old over Captain Tom as he says Stage 4 bowel cancer sufferer's life is not 'worth less in the eyes of God or fellow citizens'
- British cycling champ Mark Cavendish's TWO-YEAR-OLD son rides a motorbike round the garden as star is 'blown away' by toddler's skill
- 'We’re helping each other move forward': 25-year-old is raising her five siblings after they tragically lost their essential worker mother to COVID-19 just a few weeks before Christmas
- Rosie Ramsey gives birth! Podcaster welcomes baby boy Rafe with comedian husband Chris and reveals he looks 'exactly like his big brother Robin'
- Total Bellas: Nikki and Brie Bella with 'twin magic' give birth to baby boys just one day apart
- 'Nuns treated 11-year-old rape victims as if they were prostitutes': How schoolgirls were among 56,000 mothers sent to hellish Irish homes where 9,000 babies died and bodies were buried in shoeboxes - as survivors slam 'cop-out' report
- 'He's taken my mind off everything': Chris Ramsey's wife Rosie reveals her newborn son Rafe has 'saved' her... despite worries about giving birth amid the Covid crisis
- Jessica Hart shares a rare photo of her newborn daughter Baby sharing a cuddle with her NASCAR driver fiancé James Kirkham... after giving birth to her one month ago
- Danielle Lloyd shows off post-baby body one week after giving birth
- In Vietnam, 15-year-old girl pregnant, gives birth to baby in secret
- Mum gives birth to 'perfect' baby girl just 10 days after discovering she's pregnant
- DWTS pro Witney Carson reveals she is 'still in a diaper' nearly two weeks after giving birth to her first son Leo via c-section
10-year-old saves newborn when aunt gives birth in bathroom, passes out have 1266 words, post on www.wfsb.com at August 15, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.