July 4, 2018 | 08:03 pm GMT+7
The scene in front of the Central Citizen Reception Committee in Hanoi where Bui Huu Tuan, 68, burned himself on Monday. Photo by VnExpress/Giang Chinh
Former chief of Dao Ngan Village in the capital city had been sentenced to five years in prison for abuse of power.
Hanoi police are investigating an attempt at self-immolation by a former village chief on Monday to protest a jail sentence imposed by the city court.
Bui Huu Tuan, 68, former chief of Dao Ngan Village in Hanoi’s Chuong My District, poured half a liter of gasoline on his body and set himself alight in front of the Central Citizen Reception Committee on Ngo Thi Nham Street in Ha Dong District on Monday. The committee, under the Government Inspectorate, is tasked with receiving people’s complaints against public offices.
Colonel Nguyen Thanh Tung, deputy director of Hanoi Police, told the press late on Tuesday that on the morning of the incident, Tuan came to the committee with another man to ask for help in appealing a five-year jail term handed out by Hanoi’s People’s Court on June 22 for abuse of power.
The two were guided to the Supreme People’s Court for further procedures.
But at around 11:25 a.m. that day, Tuan returned to the committee and set himself on fire. People in the vicinity rushed to save him.
Doctors have said that he was burned 77 percent of his body and a third of that were deep burns that cut into underlying fat, muscles and bones.
Police are investigating further.
- Officers in court in full riot gear as man found guilty of stabbing ex partner and mother of his kids Anna Finnegan to death
- Syrian man given 10-year sentence by Hungarian court for rioting
- Egyptian riots turn deadly following court verdict
- TMT protesters’ court appearances spark brief moments of levity
- In Hong Kong, More Protests Begin After Wave of Arrests
- New Protests Hit Haiti Amid Demands That President Resign
- Moscow court rules to release anti-government protester
- German high court reopens prison death case
- UN court's verdict on Indian 'spy' an embarrassment for Pakistan
- Germans Criticize Khordorkovsky Verdict
- Top Turkish court outlaws Twitter ban, rules it violates free speech
- Trial to Start for Georgia Cop Who Shot Black Naked, Unarmed Man
- Moldovan court orders vote recount in disputed election
- Problem officers focus of reform
- Hong Kong protesters burn flag, police fire pepper spray
- Thousands Protest Against "Fortress Europe" in Paris
- Hong Kong govt: Violence is harmful, won't solve divisions
- Verdicts reflect 'dire' state of Cambodian courts
- New York cop guilty of manslaughter in shooting of unarmed black man
- Jury in Dallas to decide fate of ex-officer
Man sets himself on fire outside Hanoi gov't office to protest court verdict have 431 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at July 4, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.