Foreign tourists to the Temple of Literature in Hanoi.
Looking at Hanoi now, you’d barely believe that the city was blocked from the outside world until the 1990s. No a high-octane hub of tourism, Hanoi combines the best of old and new Vietnam, according to Prestige.
“The heart of Hanoi, the Old Quarter, promises meandering lanes of utter chaos: Hawkers, honking motorcyclists and cyclists jostle for space while Hanoians watch on as they sip coffee by the roads,” Prestige wrote.
Prestige has some words of advise for travelers that through the French Quarter, they will find grand old boulevards, majestic colonial-style hotels, art galleries and upscale restaurants while the area around lake Tay Ho is now buzzing with cool bars, restaurants and markets for both locals and expats.
For coffee drinkers, Hanoi is heaven on earth. Coffee shops – hawking the country’s signature Vietnamese drip coffee with condensed milk – are countless and are the perfect spots to refuel at after a long day of city exploration.
Bintan (Indonesia) tops the list, followed by Bali (Indonesia), Siem Reap (Cambodia), Hanoi (Vietnam), Vigan (the Philippines), Bagan (Myanmar), and Chiang Mai (Thailand).
Earlier, Hello, a UK magazine has just named Hanoi the number one city on its seven best destinations in Asia for backpackers.
Hoan Kiem Lake, Hai Ba Trung Temple and Hoa Lo Prison Museum are just three of the popular attractions, while backpackers often spend their evenings gathered at Bia Hoi (draft beer) bars across Hanoi, where you’ll find the cheapest beer in the world, the magazine added.
The number of tourists to Hanoi in the first half of 2018 was estimated at 13.1 million, up 10% from the same period last year. The city received about three million foreign tourists in the period, up 26% year on year, according to the municipal Department of Tourism.
- Vietnam voted second-best destination for expats in 2019
- Vietnam world’s second-best destination for expats to live and work: survey
- Vietnam shines in Forbes’s list of best destinations of 2019
- Hanoi tops Hello Magazine’s 7 best destinations in Asia for backpackers
- Vietnam named 2nd best destination for Japanese firms wishing to expand abroad: survey
- Hanoi named among top destinations for ‘every type of traveler’
- Hanoi among TripAdvisor's best destinations in 2018
- Hanoi shines in The Travel’s list of best cities guaranteed to turn you into a foodie
- Hanoi shines in Skyscanner’s list five best destinations for solo travel