A house collapsed in the earthquake (Source: VNA) Jakarta (VNA) – A 6.4 magnitude earthquake rocked Indonesia’s Lombok Island on early July 29, killing at least 10 people and injuring 40 others. Spokesman for the country’s Disaster Mitigation Agency Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, stated that most of the victims are residing in Sambelia district on the island. The quake also damaged dozens of single-story houses and taller buildings. The quake may have also impacted Mount Rinjani national park, a popular trekking destination, Nugroho said, adding that a temporary ban on the mountain trekking was issued. According to the Earthquake and Tsunami Warning Centre under the Meteorological, Climatological and Geophysical Agency of Indonesia, as of 10:20am, 66 aftershocks were recorded, with the largest recording at 5.7 magnitude. Indonesia is prone to earthquakes due to its location on the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” an arc of volcanoes and fault lines in the Pacific Basin.-VNA
- Lombok earthquake: Number killed on Indonesia tourist island rises to 319
- Ring of fire: Why Indonesia has so many earthquakes
- Indonesian holiday island of Lombok struck by second quake in a day
- Lombok quake: 'People had shards of glass in their legs'
- Five major earthquakes in two months: Indonesia reels after disasters
- Fears thousands are left homeless by Mexico quake as rescues go on
- Volcano tourism in the spotlight after New Zealand eruption
Earthquake on Indonesia’s Lombok island kills at least ten have 234 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at July 29, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.