Improbable? Maybe, but “Mission Impossible — Fallout,” the sixth and latest stunt-filled edition of the Tom Cruise action franchise has topped the weekend box office in North America, outperforming the five earlier “Impossibles.” The Paramount/Skydance production took in an estimated $61.5 million for the three-day weekend, according to industry tracker Exhibitor Relations, more than quadrupling the $15 million earned by second-place “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.” “Impossible” has 56-year-old Cruise, who famously still does his own cliff-hanging, car-rolling stunts, ordered to track down some missing plutonium and find a terror-minded villain. Critics seem to like the film despite its evident weaknesses: Though “often ridiculous,” the Washington Post wrote, the film “works amazingly well.” Universal’s “Mamma Mia” clung to the second spot for a second straight weekend, though its take was nearly 60 percent below its opening. With a star-studded cast including Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan, the film uses plentiful flashbacks to fill in the story of Streep’s carefree character on the only Greek island with a built-in ABBA soundtrack. In third was Sony’s “The Equalizer 2,” with Denzel Washington again playing a former black-ops agent — and now low-profile Lyft driver — drawn into… Read full this story
- Will Godzilla Stomp Rocketman & Aladdin at This Weekend's Box Office?
- Last Jedi Is Set to Break Records and Demolish the Box Office
- ‘Frozen 2’ Heats Up Box Office With $127M Opening Weekend
- ‘Dark Waters’ And ‘Citizen K’ Have Decent Debuts On Quiet Weekend, ‘The Lighthouse’ Crosses $10M – Specialty Box Office
- Frozen 2 and Knives Out Are Ready to Rule the Thanksgiving Box Office
- Cannes Winner ‘Parasite’ Feasts On Korea Box Office, Stomping Competition & Headed To Possible $20M Bow
- Can Deadpool Win Its Second Weekend at the Box Office?
- Last Jedi Targets Massive $425M Worldwide Box Office Debut
- Joker Laughs Its Way to $13.3M Box Office Record on Opening Night
- Broadway Box Office Flat In Pre-Holiday Week; David Byrne, Tina Turner Musical Buck Trend
Better with age? Cruise's latest 'Impossible' tops box office have 337 words, post on en.rfi.fr at July 29, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.