(CNN)Will universal basic income work in the US? Stockton, California — which will soon start giving some residents $500 a month for 18 months — is about to find out. Here’s what else you need to know to Get Up to Speed and Out the Door. (You can also get “5 Things You Need to Know Today” delivered to your inbox daily. Sign up here.)
1. Supreme Court
2. Thailand cave rescue
3. Separated families
5. Plastic straws
It’ll be neighbor vs. neighbor today when France and Belgium meet up in St. Petersburg, Russia, in a World Cup semifinal.
IHOb flips back to IHOP, but at least the breakfast chain’s cutting us a break on pancakes for our trouble.
Meet the beauty queen who put down her crown after the #MeToo movement was mocked at the Miss Massachusetts pageant.
First the Florida firefighters saved the life of a man who suffered a heart attack while laying down sod. Then they finished his yardwork for him.
Looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy will have a new home, now that J.M. Smucker is selling Pillsbury and its other baking brands to a private equity firm.
She found her wedding ring in the ashes of her home lost in a wildfire. Then her husband dropped to one knee and proposed to her all over again.
The number of people reported killed after heavy rains and landslides hit Japan. At least 10 people are missing.
That’s the number of total streams in a week for “Scorpion,” the latest album by Drake. It’s the first time any album has ever had that many streams over a seven-day period.
Cuteness alert! Hey, it’s a baby goat making friends with three kittens. What else do you really need to see today? (Click to view.)
- Thailand cave rescuers were sure most of the kids would die
- Ellis Henican to be ‘as told to author’ for book on Thai cave rescue
- 4 Supreme Court Cases that Justice Brett Kavanaugh May Swing
- Editorial: Don’t confirm Brett Kavanaugh to U.S. Supreme Court
- Thai Soccer Team Shares Details of Cave Rescue, Meets Idol on ‘Ellen': ‘Best Team in the World’ (Video)
- U.S. Supreme Court seeks views of federal government in Arizona border shooting
- 5 Interesting Supreme Court Cases Kavanaugh Could Decide This Term
- Read Full Text of Christine Blasey Ford's Testimony Against Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh
- Houston police killer Anthony Haynes appeals to Supreme Court over bad lawyering
- Troopers had no right to enter sorority house twice without a warrant, Pa. Supreme Court rules