Six persons have died in the last 48 hours due to torrential rain and landslides in Tripura, Manipur, Assam and Mizoram. Southwest monsoon hit the state a little before time reeling the states under flash floods and landslides. The regional meteorological office has warned of heavy rain in the next 24 hour and also cautioned all Deputy Commissioners to keep a close watch on flood and landslide for the next couple of days.
Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Deb has sought the assistance of the Indian Army for rescue operations in the region. He even requested the Union government to increase the number of National Disaster Response Force personnel in Tripura.
The central government has assured the state of complete assistance and has informed Army Chief Bipin Rawat to take necessary steps.
“We have kept ready a Pawan Hans helicopter and sent a requisition to the Indian Air Force to provide two more helicopters to rescue marooned people and to provide relief to the affected families if necessary,” an official of the Tripura Disaster Management Control Centre reportedly said.
1. Out of six, four persons died in Tripura and two in Manipur.
2. The state government announced Rs 5 lakh compensation for the family of deceased.
3. Thousands of people are stuck in Assam following torrential rain and flash floods.
4. Manipur has declared a holiday in all schools, colleges and government offices.
5. The key link which connects southern Assam and Manipur has been destroyed in landslides.
6. The Assam State Disaster Management Authority has said Karbi Anglong East, Karbi Anglong West, Golaghat, Karimganj, Biswanath and Hailakandi are the worst-affected districts, as many as 1,48,912 people in 222 villages have been affected.
7. Nearly 10, 700 relief camps have been set up in Assam, where approximately 1.5 lakh people have taken shelter.
8. Nearly 900 families have been evacuated to safer areas in Mizoram in past 48 hours.
9. Heavy rains have resulted in landslides at several places along the Imphal Jiribam National Highway 37.
10. Vehicular traffic came to a halt due to a huge crack at NH37 between Kotlen and Tupul.
11. Numbers of vehicles have been stranded on National Highway 54.
12. The subdivisions Teliamura, Kanchanpur, Sabroom, Kumarghat and Sonamura have been worst affected by the heavy monsoon.
13. In Mizoram, flash floods have been reported in Lunglei and Aizwal, people have been evacuated to safer places
- Desperate hunt for Hungarian brother and sister caught in devastating flash floods in Spain - as death toll hits eight
- Karnataka CM leaves flood review meeting in just 5 minutes
- 13 Dead In Karnataka Amid Fresh Flood Scare, Chief Minister Blames Stars
- The Latest: Olga bringing heavy rains to central Gulf Coast
- Killed on his bucket list: Father-of-three dies in a rain forest zipline fall that seriously injured his wife - as tourists describe with horror of watching the couple plunge 16-metres
- With a handshake, the Queen forgives: She greets Martin McGuinness - the man who headed terror army that murdered her beloved cousin - and even manages a smile
- The Prince, The Billionaire And Amazon Project That Got Frozen In Desert
- Turkey releases video of its commandos advancing against Kurdish fighters as civilians continue to flee airstrikes and shelling in towns along the Syrian border
- Turkey fires first shots: Ankara bombs Kurdish supply route ahead of invasion to create a 'peace corridor' along border just hours after Trump pulls US troops - as president reveals he has invited Erdogan to the White House next month
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 23
- The Only Thing That Matters
- Saddam Hussein
- Four-metre floodwaters displace 340,000 in Jakarta
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 18
- 'Dad stop the burning, I beg you': Horrifying footage reveals badly-burned Kurdish children in Syria amid claims Turkey is using banned weapons such as napalm and white phosphorus
- Commentary: Rule of law is an 'existential necessity' for Singapore
- There's Something for Every Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fan on io9's Massive List of Fall Books
- iPhone 4S goes on sale (live blog)
- Stories About My Brother
- GRAPHIC-Global protests gaining attention in financial markets
Rain, Flash Flood Kill 6 In Northeast, Tripura CM Seeks Army Assistance have 637 words, post on www.tehelka.com at June 15, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.