- All Topics
Europe and AfricaExternal RelationsFood and AgricultureGame ParksGovernanceHealthHuman RightsICTInfrastructureInnovationInternational OrganisationsInvestmentLabourLand and Rural IssuesLatin America and AfricaLegal AffairsMalariaManufacturingMediaMiddle East and AfricaMigrationMiningMusicMusic ReviewsNCDsNGONutrition
- All Topics
Nigeria: New Tax On Alcohol, Tobacco Not Targeted At Local Manufacturers – GovtNigeria: Amnesty Office Lied About Woman Sacked for Criticising Osinbajo, Aisha BuhariNigeria: Most Nigerians Have Slipped Into Extreme Poverty – ActionAidNigeria: Fayose Taunts Obasanjo, Says He Should Submit Himself to Buhari’s Probe
Awka — The Commissioner for Public Complaints Commission in Anambra State, Prince Sam Nwosu, has said that the commission has the function of fighting corruption and injustice in a peculiar way, different from those of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and other bodies.
The newly appointed commissioner said the commission is determined to prosecute cases of complaint brought to it by aggrieved members of the public, warning that it could no longer be referred to as a toothless bulldog.
Nwosu, who was on a courtesy visit to the state director of Department of State Services (DSS) Yusuf Ishaku and the Speaker of Anambra State House of Assembly, Rita Maduagwu, said the visit was to facilitate a strategic partnership that would help the commission discharge its functions smoothly.
The commissioner said: “I decided that I and my team would be here to seek your partnership because we have a lot to work in common. I want to tell you that this is a brand new Public Complaints Commission, and we are just coming from the dentist. We now bark and bite.
“When we have matters that are beyond our office, we push it to you, but when there are civil complaints that have to do with our office, you push it to us.
“We will also need the House of Assembly when we need enactment of laws that can enhance our job. That is why I am here,” Nwosu said at a separate forum.
He called on members of the public who had one complaint or the other against public institutions and other business concerns in the state not to hesitate in approaching the commission as its job is to ensure redress for aggrieved persons.
He said the commission’s activities also include wholely sponsored litigations on behalf of complainants.
The delegation received the assurances of the state director, DSS and the speaker, Anambra State House of Assembly who pledged to help ensure the efficient implementation of its duties.
Nigeria’s newly increased tax on alcohol and tobacco is not targeted at local manufacturing industries, the country’s… Read more »
See What Everyone is Watching
Copyright © 2018 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.
- Nigeria: New Tax On Alcohol, Tobacco Not Targeted At Local Manufacturers – Govt
- Nigeria: Amnesty Office Lied About Woman Sacked for Criticising Osinbajo, Aisha Buhari
- Nigeria: Two Years After, Illegally Dismissed Army Officers Await Justice
- Nigeria: I’ll Continue to Ensure Justice in Governance, Buhari Pledges
- Nigeria: Obasanjo Afraid of His Shadow – Tsav
- Nigeria: PDP Mocks Buhari for Claiming National Assembly Achievements
- Nigeria: PDP to Buhari – Posthumous Award On Abiola Does Not Make You a Democrat
- Nigeria: Ras Kimono Reported Dead
- Nigeria: Nigerian Raggae Maestro, Ras Kimono Passes On
- Nigeria: Reggae Legend, Ras Kimono, Is Dead
- Nigeria: Legendary Raggae Artist, Ras Kimono Dies At 60
- Nigeria: Nigerian Army’s Revengeful Outing On Amnesty Intertational
- Nigeria: Suicide Bomber Kills Self While Targeting Crowded Market – Police
- Nigeria: Suicide Bomber Kills Self in Failed Suicide Attempt in Borno Market – Police
- Nigeria: Why Most Nigerian Businesses Cannot Become Conglomerates – Economist
- Nigeria: #EndSARS – Nigerians Resume Campaign to Shut Down Brutal Police Squad
- Nigerian Reggae Singer Ras Kimono Dies
- Most Nigerians Have Slipped Into Extreme Poverty – ActionAid
- Buhari Is Plotting My Arrest, Detention, Obasanjo Cries Out
- Minutes to Russia 2018 – How Ready Are the Super Eagles?
- Buhari Signs Bill Stopping VPs From Seeking 2nd Term
- Buhari’s Water Bill Causing Waves in Nigeria
- Muslim Group Angry Over ‘This is Nigeria’ Video
- Men Shouldn’t Open Doors for Women – Nigerian Writer Chimamanda
- Nigeria Marks 20 Years Since Abacha’s Death
- U.S. Grants $102 Million to Nigerian Govt
More From: This Day
- Nigeria: ActionAid – Perceived Lack of Neutrality of Security Agencies Fuels Insecurity
- Nigeria: Rising Oil Prices Present Nigeria Opportunity for Economic Diversification
- Nigeria: Between J Cole and Nigerian Rap
- Nigeria: Five Things Most Nigerians Do On Vacation Abroad
- Nigeria: Youngest Chibok Girl Turns 20 in Captivity Today
- Nigeria: Buhari Signs Bill Stopping Vice-President, Deputy Govs From Seeking 2nd Term
- Nigeria: World Remit, First Bank Boost Digital Money Transfer in Nigeria
- Nigeria: Why We Revoked Visas of Nigerians Travelling to America – U.S.
- Nigeria: Nigeria Jersey Voted As Fans’ Number One Favourite
- Nigeria: Threats From Military Won’t Deter Us, Says Amnesty International
- Nigeria: Presidency Begins Moves to Ensure Passage of Water Resources Bill
- Nigeria: Buhari Planning to Arrest Me, Obasanjo Raises the Alarm
- Nigeria: House Ends Legislative Calendar, Lists Achievements in Three Years
- Nigeria: Govt Reacts to Obasanjo’s Allegation, Says Only the Guilty Should Be Worried
- Nigeria: PDP, APC Win Rescheduled Council Election in Kaduna
- Nigeria: Senate-IG Face-Off – Buhari Must Act Now, Says ADC
- Nigeria: Onyema – NSE Demutualisation Process Still On Course
- Nigeria: Experts Harp On Increased Private, Public Sectors Collaboration
- Nigeria: NRC Assesses Abuja Light Rail Project for Final Certification
- Nigeria: Fayose, APC Praise Buhari Over Posthumous Award for Abiola
- Nigeria: After 11 Years As Editor, Nwogwugwu Is New MD for Arise News Channel, Africa
- Nigeria: Abiola’s Daughter – Recognition of June 12 Will Lead to New Nigeria
- Nigeria: Buhari Is Re-Electable, Says Uzodimma
- Nigeria: N100 Billion Required to Complete East-West Road – Amaechi
- Nigeria: Oando Champions Ozumba Mbadiwe Waterway Cleanup
- Nigeria: Nestle Taking Action to Beat Plastic Pollution On World Environment Day
- Nigeria: 36 Executive Bills Received By Delta Assembly in Three Years
- Nigeria: Fayose, APC Disagree Over Posthumous Award for Late MKO Abiola
- Nigeria: Us Donates Additional $102m for North East Humanitarian Services
- Nigeria: Govt Seeks Improved Investment From European Businesses
- Nigeria: Nigerian Medical Doctor Shines in New York
- Nigeria: NCP – Fawehinmi Would’ve Rejected Buhari’s Award
- Zimbabwe: Commonwealth Crew Confronts Mnangagwa Over Poll Reforms(New Zimbabwe)
- Africa: Enjoy the Goals, Remember the Jails – a Brief Guide to Russia 2018(Daily Maverick)
- South Africa: Mass Stormers Exodus As Lure of Europe Strikes – Again(News24Wire)
- Sudan: Al Bashir ‘Satisfied With Sudan-British Relations’(Radio Dabanga)
- Liberia: Liberia – King Philippe Assures Pres. Weah of Support in Health, Education, Agriculture(FrontPageAfrica)
- Tanzania: Queen’s Birthday Party Celebrations in Dar es Salaam(PR Newswire)
- Kenya: First Eurobond Debt Repayment to Cost Taxpayers Sh97.7bn(Nation)
- Nigeria: Govt Seeks Improved Investment From European Businesses(This Day)
- South Africa: Expression Session for Blitzboks in Paris(News24Wire)
- Gambia: Reported 3-Year Deal for Colley At Sampdoria(Foroyaa)
- South Africa: ‘No Plans’ For Nuclear Deal Between Russia, South Africa – Energy Minister(allAfrica)
- Kenya: Kenya Slides to Position 14 in Africa Hydropower Ranking(Nation)
- Zimbabwe: Econet Goes Green, Puts HQ On Solar Power(Zimbabwe Standard)
- Zimbabwe: Econet Leads in Use of Clean Energy, Puts Entire Head Office Complex On Solar Power(263Chat)
- Uganda: President Museveni Urges Investors to Plant Solar Pumps for Agriculture(The Exchange)
- Mauritius: Deputy Prime Minister Lays Foundation Stone of Henrietta Solar PV Farm(Government of Mauritius)
- Ethiopia: Leapfrogging Renewable Energy Dev’t(Ethiopian Herald)
- Kenya: Breaking Barriers in Oil and Gas Sector(Nation)
- Kenya: City Hall Now Fights Back After Power Cut(Nairobi News)
- Kenya: Government to Seek Market for Crude Oil(Nation)
- Africa: Africa Innovation Summit Focuses On Innovative Ecosystems to Curb Challenges(CIO)
- Zimbabwe: Econet Goes Green, Puts HQ On Solar Power(Zimbabwe Standard)
- Nigeria: Nigeria to Attain 30% Broadband Penetration Before End of 2018, Says Danbatta(This Day)
- South Africa: Protecting Privacy – Postcards From the Edge of Being Hacked(Daily Maverick)
- Africa: Software Giant Appoints Mollett As New Regional Manager(CAJ News)
- Nigeria: U.S. Consulate Trains Women, Students On Drone Technology(Premium Times)
- East Africa: Seacom Upgrades Its Subsea Cable System to 1.5Tbps(CIO)
- East Africa: Digital Transformation Key for Customer Growth to Ensure Seamless Travel Experience(CIO)
- Nigeria: Freshworks Announces Expansion Plans in Africa With Strategic Focus in Nigeria(This Day)
- Kenya: Huawei Kenya Launches Global Train-the-Teacher Programme(CAJ News)
- Senegal: One Company’s Tax ‘Heaven’ Is Senegal’s Tax ‘Hell’(International Consortium of Investigative Journalists)
- Tanzania: Tanzania’s Tough Mining Laws Paying Off(East African)
- Zimbabwe: Parliament Wants Diamond Operations Probe to Continue After Polls(The Source)
- Namibia: State-Owned Diamond Firm Spends Millions On Consulting Fees(Namibian)
- Namibia: Minister Unhappy With Diamond Firm(Namibian)
- Namibia: Nghitila Orders an End to Sand Mining(Namibian)
- Namibia: Mines Minister Unhappy With Diamond Firm(Namibian)
- South Africa: Minister Gwede Mantashe – Mineral Resources Dept Budget Vote NCOP 2018/19(Govt of SA)
- Namibia: Mining Firm Recognised for Equity and Gender Commitment(New Era)
- Ghana: GIBANA Is Not Another Mining Regulatory Body – Vice President(Ghanaian Times)
- Uganda: Tears As MP Abiriga’s Body Arrives in Arua for Burial Tomorrow(Monitor)
- Uganda: Country in Fear, No Answers On Killings(Monitor)
- Nigeria: Two Years After, Illegally Dismissed Army Officers Await Justice(Premium Times)
- Uganda: Security Agencies Begin Hunt for Abiriga Killers(Monitor)
- Nigeria: Suicide Bomber Kills Self While Targeting Crowded Market – Police(Premium Times)
- Nigeria: Suicide Bomber Kills Self in Failed Suicide Attempt in Borno Market – Police(Vanguard)
- Nigeria: #EndSARS – Nigerians Resume Campaign to Shut Down Brutal Police Squad(Premium Times)
- Nigeria: 35 Containers of Tramadol Seized At Ports – NAFDAC(Premium Times)
- Somalia: U.S. Vows to Enhance Fight Against Al-Shabab Despite Loss of Soldier(Shabelle)
- South Africa: N7 Towards Malmesbury Closed Due to Dunoon Protest(News24Wire)
- Kenya: Wreckage of Missing Plane Located South West of Aberdares(Capital FM)
- Uganda: Uganda Airlines Revival Raises Stakes for Kenya Airways(Nation)
- Kenya: FlySax Plane Wreckage Recovery Team Betting On Friendly Weather(Nation)
- Kenya: Five Die, Seven Hurt After Matatu Hits Truck in Londiani(Nation)
- Somalia: Car Accident Kills At Least Three in Mogadishu, Somali Capital(Shabelle)
- Ethiopia: Ethiopian Celebrates African Aviation History With 100th Aircraft(Guardian)
- Kenya: Emirates Eyes Cargo to Drive Growth in Kenya(Capital FM)
- Kenya: Police, City Askaris Intensify Crackdown On Errant Boda Boda Operators(Nairobi News)
- Kenya: Here’s the Young Beautiful Pilot Who Flew Ill-Fated Plane(Nairobi News)
- Nigeria: NRC Assesses Abuja Light Rail Project for Final Certification(This Day)
AllAfrica is a voice of, by and about Africa – aggregating, producing and distributing 800 news and information items daily from over 140 African news organizations and our own reporters to an African and global public. We operate from Cape Town, Dakar, Abuja, Monrovia, Nairobi and Washington DC.
- Corruption and Transparency
- America Exports Its Corruption to Ukraine
- Hunter Biden Steps Down From Chinese Board in Bid to Fight Back
- The Way We Were Podcast Battle of Arnhem Special
- Nigeria's President Buhari: My wife belongs in kitchen
- MEPs again reject Romanian, Hungarian 'commissioners'
- Commissioner Denies Rampant Corruption Within Police
- Children's commissioner at 'failing' council quits
- MEPs block Romanian and Hungarian 'commissioners'
- Anti-Semitism and Corruption In The United Nations
- Romania's controversial anti-corruption star
- Timmermans to Warsaw and Budapest: Rule of law fight isn’t over
- Gilroy High football players struggle after alleged locker room sexual assault. Experts say such attacks are increasing.
- MP Emma Lewell-Buck vows to fight de-selection threat
- Milbank: Donald Trump, corrupted absolutely
- The Latest: Turkey says soldier dies from wounds near Manbij
- 'It was poor judgement on my part': Hunter Biden breaks his silence on his foreign business scandal that engulfed his father but says he 'did nothing wrong at all'
- The Latest: Russia says it won't 'allow' Turkey, Syria clash
- 'War wing' fights for survival in Kosovo poll
- Manfred Weber asks: Who wants to live the Chinese way of life?
Nigeria: We Fight Corruption in Peculiar Way, Says Anambra Commissioner have 2667 words, post on allafrica.com at June 7, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.