|A transplanted patient in good condition. — Photo vietnamplus.vn|
HÀ NỘI — Hà Nội’s Việt Đức Hospital recently received organ and tissue donations from four patients in the span of just one month, hospital director Trần Bình Giang said.
This was a record in Việt Nam in terms of donations tallied within one month, Giang told online newspaper vietnamplus.vn.
“Previously, the hospital would wait for years for 1 or 2 cases of organ donation,” Giang said. “This time, however, 4 patients donated 16 organs in only one month.”
“This is a good sign that Vietnamese people are becoming more open to the idea of organ donation,” he said.
While Việt Đức Hospital records 4 to 6 cases of brain death due to traffic accidents every day, there have been only 40 organ donations made in the last decade.
The community now views organ donation as a humane act that helps save other people’s lives, he said.
The four brain-dead patients donated 8 kidneys, 4 livers, and 4 hearts.
The donated organs were transplanted onto 14 patients in Việt Đức Hospital and 2 others in Huế General Hospital.
At present, two-thirds of the patients who received the organs were in stable condition and have already been discharged from the hospitals.
Associate Professor Nguyễn Quang Nghĩa, director of hospital’s organ transplantation centre, told vietnamplus.vn that 3 out of the 4 patients who received the donated livers went through a hepatic coma.
“The patients suffered liver failure in the last stage, which has a high risk of fatality,” Nghĩa said. “However, the patients are now in stable condition.”
So far, Việt Đức Hospital has performed transplant procedures for 590 kidney failure patients, 53 liver failure patients, and 19 heart failure patients.
The first kidney transplant was performed in Việt Nam in 1992, while a liver transplant was first carried out in 2004. A heart transplantation was successfully performed for the first time in 2010, and a lung transplant from a live donor was first carried out in 2017, while it was only this year that a pair of lungs were successfully transplanted from a brain-dead person. — VNS
- Organ donations from overdose victims a "silver lining" of opioid crisis
- NHS worker’s life transformed by organ donation
- Organ Donation: 7-year-old Boy Becomes First Child to Undergo Five-organ Transplant
- Spain tops world organ donation rankings
- Virtua to acquire 2 Trinity hospitals in New Jersey
- Thornetta Davis celebrates couple’s organ donation
- Spain sets world record for most organ donations made in one day
- Body art to celebrate gift of organ donations at Leeds General Infirmary
- Overdose deaths fuel surge in organ donations
- Swiss organ donation consent at 'shameful' low
- Donor family joins Ouimets to promote organ donations
- Spain notches up world organ transplant record
- Hospitals see labor costs rising amid ongoing doctor, nurse shortages
- Most hospitals provide electronic access to records, but patients slow to engage, ONC says
- Organ donation campaigner with mechanical heart inspires Ipswich school pupils
- Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital opens new advanced heart failure center
- Maryland, DC hospitals see improvement in Leapfrog quality poll
- Ascension's Providence hospital sees internal turmoil amid shift away from acute care
- These Are the Best Hospitals in New Jersey, New Ranking Says
- Redesigning Maternal Care: Ob-Gyns Are Urged to See New Mothers Sooner And More Often
Hà Nôi hospital sees new organ donation record have 529 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at June 21, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.