Kathmandu, June 5
Following detection of bird flu in different parts of the country in recent weeks, consumption of chicken across the country has dropped by as much as 20 per cent, according to poultry entrepreneurs.
The daily consumption of chicken, which used to stand at 500 tonnes at normal times, has come down to 400 tonnes since the last two weeks due to the fear of bird flu, informed Jung Bahadur BC, president of Nepal Chicken Sellers Business Association.
In the third week of May, the H5N1 virus, popularly known as bird flu, was detected in different poultry farms in Chitwan – a major producer and supplier of chicken in the domestic market. Later, the virus was also detected in the Capital – in the poultry farms belonging to Hira Tamang at Dharmasthali in Tarkeshwor Municipality and Shanti Tamang at Lambagar of the same municipality.
As per World Health Organisation (WHO), H5N1 is a type of influenza virus that causes a highly infectious, severe respiratory disease in birds called avian influenza (or bird flu). While human cases of avian influenza occur occasionally, the infection doesn’t spread readily from birds to persons. However, when a person gets infected, the mortality rate is about 60 per cent.
“Sales have come down in the last few weeks despite falling price of chicken. However, we are expecting that the demand for chicken will rise slowly,” said BC.
Chicken price has dropped by Rs 20 per kg to Rs 260 per kg over the last two weeks.
As per BC, consumption rate has come down drastically in Kathmandu Valley compared to other cities.
Of the 500 tonnes of chicken that is consumed in the country every day at normal times, 300 tonnes used to be consumed in Kathmandu Valley alone.
A version of this article appears in print on June 06, 2018 of The Himalayan Times.
- Fears of toilet roll shortages AGAIN as manufacturers warn of rising costs
- Gas prices jump as Russia keeps a lid on supplies
- Fossil fuel crisis MAPPED: The 9 countries that use the most energy from coal, gas and oil
- Protest strike shuts down Haiti amid search for missionaries
- El Salvador buys bitcoin as the digital currency becomes legal tender
- America's iconic war machine
- 5 covid-safe domestic holiday options for less than Rs 50,000
- World Wrestling Entertainment Inc (WWE) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
- Can Anyone Stop the Uberization of the Economy?
- The Best Halloween Movies on Amazon Prime Video in 2021
- G.O.P. Seethes at Biden Mandate, Even in States Requiring Other Vaccines
- Could AMC Become Free Cash Flow Positive By 2022?
- The Coronavirus Crisis Tears Europe Apart at the Seams
- Vaccinated Americans may gather indoors in small groups but should still wear masks in public, the C.D.C. said.
- World Wrestling Entertainment, inc (WWE) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Even if millions went vegan overnight, it wouldn’t make a dent in the fight against climate change
- Apple event recap: AirPods 3, new MacBook Pro, HomePod Mini and everything announced
- Democratic retirements could make a tough midterm year even worse
- America’s Cash Glut
- ‘I Don’t Know That I Would Even Call It Meth Anymore’
‘Bird flu’ fear brings down consumption, price of chicken in the country have 509 words, post on thehimalayantimes.com at June 6, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.