Visitors going to the northern mountainous province of Lai Chau to admire the beauty of the Nam Mu river flowing through the pristine mountainous area are also attracted by the stunning sights and cascading sounds of 35 huge water wheels on the river bank.
For people of the Thai, Muong, Tay, Nung ethnic groups living in the northwest, a water wheel is an essential agricultural tool that helps locals deliver water from the lower rivers or streams to the higher fields. People passing by large fields in mountainous provinces often catch sight of water wheels continuously spinning to take water to a higher place for irrigation of the rice during the growing season.
These water wheels, particularly those in Na Khuong village, Ban Bo commune, Tam Duong district, create a simple yet beautiful image closely connected to the local life for visitors to admire and explore.
Mai Thi Ngoc Ha, a visitor to the site told reporters: “This is my first time to Na Khuong village. I like pristine landscapes and fresh air here. People here are so friendly. I definitely will come back to northwestern region to travel.”
Realising the potential of those stunning bamboo water wheels for tourism development, the local government is planning on decorating and expanding the site while establishing a market to sell local products and training local people on sustainable tourism development.
Dong Xuan Cuong, a visitor from Phong Tho district, Lai Chau province said: “I have come here twice. The water wheels here are stunning so many visitors are attracted. People here also greet us with big smiles so I kinda like it.”
According to the commune’s statistics, Ban Bo water wheels tourism site welcomed 40,000 tourist arrivals in 2017 and so far greeted 12,000 visitors in the first three months of 2018.-VNA
- Water music stuns visitors to Ho Chi Minh City’s first pedestrian street (photos)
- Early salt water influx hits Mekong Delta region
- Northwestern region to hold ethnic festival
- Stunning beauty of bamboo water wheels in Lai Chau
- Ripening rice fields in Vietnam's northwestern region
- Colours of Northwestern region
- Spring flowers blossoming in northwestern region
- Dishes made from Bauhinia flowers in Vietnam’s northwestern region
- Measures sought to sustainably reduce poverty in northwestern region