Sean Penn has criticised the #MeToo movement stating the belief that it was “led by mania”. The Oscar-winning actor, referencing the social media demonstration which supported victims of sexual harassment in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, told The Guardian Weekend magazine he didn’t feel the movement to be “intellectually honest”. “I don’t ever want to be in a movement. I don’t trust any movement,” he said, adding: “The anti-war movement did not sustain,” Penn said. “We’re back in wars.” He added that #MeToo was filled with “self-aggrandisement and venting” before leaping to the defence of US newsreader Charlie Rose who was fired from CBS show This Morning last year after being accused of misconduct in the workplace. “He says one thing happened; other people said another thing happened,” Penn said. “I wasn’t there. What I do think is we maybe should be very careful; for example, are we now going to say we will never celebrate Thomas Jefferson again: slaveholder, that’s all you are?” Penn continued: “Charlie Rose provided one of the only sophisticated dialogue programmes, and I don’t know what the percentages are, but I know that there are some lies that have been told publicly about people; I… Read full this story
- Charlie Rose to Host Series Interviewing Other Men Taken Down by #MeToo Movement?
- Sean Penn, A Man of Many Trades
- Russian women find their voice as #MeToo movement spreads
- Sean Penn: I'll write another book despite the lousy reviews
- I was sexually assaulted at 19. The #MeToo movement helped me see I'm not alone.
- The #MeToo movement is knocking on Donald Trump’s front door
- Desperate to change MeToo movement narrative before it's too late: Tarana Burke
- Danish Psychologist Compares #Metoo Movement With Gestapo
- EDITORIAL: Bill Cosby's guilty verdict marks a turning point in #MeToo movement
- Eve Babitz on Sex, the #MeToo Movement and Knowing When the Party Is Over
Sean Penn criticises #MeToo movement: 'I know some lies have been told. I'm talking about women towards men' have 335 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 5, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.