Belgium have left midfield creator Radja Nainggolan out of their World Cup squad, coach Roberto Martinez said on Monday. The absence of Nainggolan, who scored twice for Roma in the second league of the Champions League semi-final against Liverpool this month, was the biggest surprise in the 28-player list that will be reduced to 23 before the tournament. Belgium face England, Panama and Tunisia in Group G at the World Cup.
The heavily tattooed 30-year-old has played 30 times for his country and is popular with supporters, but his relationship with Martinez has often been strained.
The Spanish former Everton manager said: “It was a sad and difficult decision. He is a player with a lot of class and he was voted Roma’s best player, but I’ve made my decision for purely tactical reasons.
“I have put in place a specific system that works. I can’t use Radja in a secondary role.”
Martinez said he had travelled to Rome to explain his choice to the player.
In Nainggolan’s place, Martinez has picked 21-year-old Youri Tielemans, who has had a low-key season at French club Monaco.
The decision to omit Nainggolan was criticised by former Belgian international Philippe Albert.
“We must be the only country in the world to be making the trip without one of the best players in the world. This is not the way to become world champions.”
Manchester City’s veteran defender Vincent Kompany is included, as is Barcelona defender Thomas Vermaelen, despite both being dogged by injuries this season.
Divock Origi, the Liverpool striker who has spent the season on loan at Wolsfburg, was left out.
Belgium face Portugal in a warm-up friendly on June 2.
Belgium’s 28-man squad:
Goalkeepers: Koen Casteels (Wolfsburg/GER), Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea/ENG), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool/ENG), Matz Sels (Newcastle/ENG, on loan at Anderlecht)
Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham/ENG), Dedryck Boyata (Celtic/SCO), Laurent Ciman (Los Angeles FC/USA), Leander Dendoncker (Anderlecht), Christian Kabasele (Watford/ENG), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City/ENG), Jordan Lukaku (Lazio/ITA), Thomas Vermaelen (Barcelona/ESP), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham/ENG)
Midfielders: Yannick Carrasco (Dalian Yinfang/CHN), Nacer Chadli (West Bromwich Albion/ENG), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City/ENG), Mousa Dembele (Tottenham/ENG), Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United/ENG), Adnan Januzaj (Real Sociedad/ESP), Thomas Meunier (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Youri Tielemans (Monaco/FRA), Axel Witsel (Tianjin Quanjian/CHN)
Forwards: Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea/ENG, on loan at Borussia Dortmund/GER), Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace/ENG), Eden Hazard (Chelsea/ENG), Thorgan Hazard (Borussia Monchengladbach/GER), Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United/ENG), Dries Mertens (Naples/ITA).
— Nainggolan announces international retirement —
Roma midfielder Nainggolan announced later that he was calling time on his international career after being overlooked for the Belgium World Cup squad. The Spaniard flew out to Italy over the weekend to explain his choice.
Met veel pijn in het hart maak ik een einde aan men internationale carriere… ik heb er altijd alles aangedaan om er bij te zijn en belgie te vertegenwoordigen … spijtig genoeg is ECHT zijn niet goed voor SOMMIGE… En vanaf vandaag zal ik de eerste supporter zijn…. Purtroppo molto a malincuore termina la mia carriera internazionale… ho sempre fatto di tutto per poter rappresentare la mia nazione Essere se stessi a volte pu dare fastidio… Da oggi sar il primo tifoso… Very reluctantly my international career comes to an end…I’ve always done everthing I could to represent my country Being yourself can be bothering …From this day on I will be the first fan…
A post shared by Radja Nainggolan (@radjanainggolan.4) on May 21, 2018 at 4:11am PDT
“Unfortunately and very reluctantly my international career comes to an end,” Nainggolan wrote on Instagram. “I’ve always done everything I could to represent my country. Being yourself can irritate people. “From this day on I’ll be the number one fan”, he posted.
- Radja Nainggolan has played 30 times for his country
- I can’t use Radja in a secondary role, said coach Roberto Martinez
- Youri Tielemans has been picked in place of Radja Nainggolan
- Aruna Budda Reddy Wins Bronze At 2018 Gymnastics World Cup
- World Cup 2018: Harry Kane Admits England Could Have Done Better Against Belgium
- Vietnam’s World Cup qualifier to be postponed due to Covid-19
- World Cup 2018: David Beckham, Zlatan Ibrahimovic Agree On World Cup Bet. Here Are The Terms Of The Deal
- Russia Proves Nothing Impossible at FIFA World Cup - Croatia Defender Lovren
- Fifa gives FKF deadline in Amrouche pay row
- Why Kenya is courting Fifa ban
- All you need to know about the Qatar World Cup – with four years to go before the opening kickoff
- Coronavirus impact: India’s FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Qatar postponed
- FIFA recommends March, April internationals be postponed
- Coronavirus threat: India's FIFA WC qualifiers postponed
- Coronavirus causes more havoc in the sports world
- FIFA WC Qualifier | India’s match against Qatar likely to be postponed
- AIFF confirms postponement of India's World Cup qualifier against Qatar due to coronavirus threat
- How Germany's 2006 World Cup fairy tale turned sour
- FIFA to Postpone CONMEBOL World Cup 2022 Qualifiers Over Coronavirus Outbreak
- India’s FIFA 2022 World Cup qualifiers postponed due to Coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus impact: India’s FIFA 2022 World Cup qualifiers postponed due to COVID-19
- India's World Cup qualifier against Qatar postponed amid coronavirus outbreak
- Scotland leaves out Huw Jones from RWC squad
FIFA World Cup 2018: Belgium Leave Out Radja Nainggolan From World Cup Squad have 978 words, post on sports.ndtv.com at May 21, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.