It might be time to get those pecan waffles and cheesy eggs someplace else.
Activists are targeting Waffle House after the company doubled down on its defense of Saraland, Ala., staffers who called the police on a black woman. The violent arrest, during which three police officers forced 25-year-old Chikesia Clemons to the floor and exposed her breasts in the process of arresting her, was filmed by Clemons’ friend and went viral.
The April 22 incident happened the same day a white man opened fire on a Waffle House restaurant outside Nashville, Tenn., killing four people.
Activists, including members of March for Our Lives, the Georgia Alliance for Social Justice and the NAACP, protested at the chain restaurant’s Atlanta headquarters on Monday, demanding that the charges against Clemons be dropped, HuffPost reports.
Clemons was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
They’re also demanding that Waffle House release video of the arrest, provide a statement reprimanding the mistreatment of Clemons and take “disciplinary action” against the Waffle House employees involved in the arrest.
But Waffle House spokesman Pat Warner insists that the company’s investigation found that Clemons had made “several threats … including threats of violence” to restaurant workers, justifying a call to the police.
Activists have called for a nationwide boycott of the chain restaurant to begin on Friday if their requests are not met.
The call for a boycott comes as the service industry—and, in particular, large chains—are facing increased scrutiny for their treatment of black customers. Unfortunately for the Waffle House, yet another incident of possible racial prejudice has come to light.
Last week, another Alabama Waffle House made headlines after reportedly denying entry to a black woman. As Newsweek reports, Jacinda Mitchell attempted to enter a Pinson, Ala., Waffle House but found the doors to the 24-hour restaurant locked.
“They have the door locked and they have customers in here, and they’re saying that they’re closed,” Mitchell can be heard saying in a video clip she took of the incident. “The customers are eating and they happen to be white customers only, and I am an African American. They have people that they’re serving, but they’re telling me that they’re closed.”
At the end of the video, a white man can be seen approaching the glass door and pointing at Mitchell. What he’s telling her isn’t clear.
Waffle House spokesman Warner told AL.com that the company is investigating Mitchell’s claims.
“We have launched an investigation to gather all of the facts,” said Warner, the restaurant’s director of public relations and external affairs. “Waffle House is a welcoming place for everyone, and we are fortunate to enjoy a very diverse and loyal customer base who we do our best to serve every day. The employee involved should not have locked the front door at all and should have certainly opened the door for the customer when she arrived. We will get the facts and take appropriate action quickly.”
- Pierce Freelon On Deconstructing Race With Timely Musical Docuseries ‘The History Of White People In America’
- 'White people are being killed too, MORE white people!' Trump’s response when asked why black Americans are still being killed by cops
- New Jersey Enters Phase 2: Restaurants Allowed To Reopen For Outdoor Dining
- Ivanka Trump faces calls for government ethics probe over 'if it's Goya it's good' - and she hits back that critics are part of 'cancel culture'
- 'They didn't even see me as human': Black activist recounts how a group of white men attacked him and allegedly threatened to 'get a noose' at a lake in Indiana as FBI launches investigation
- Death of Shaasia Washington, Pregnant 26-Year-Old Black Woman, Highlights Devastating Trend
- Elk Grove Restaurant Brick House Brings Fine Dining Experience Outdoors
- Goya Foods CEO won't apologize in face of boycott, backlash for pro-Trump remarks: 'Suppression of speech'
- Nick Cannon apologizes for being anti-Semitic but NOT for calling white people 'evil, rapists and savages' - as black stars back him and Charlamagne Tha God says ViacomCBS firing proves 'Jews have the power'
- 'People say I hate white people': comedian Ziwe on her provocative new show
- Wendy's employee who called 911 on Rayshard Brooks told the dispatcher 'he didn't have any weapons, said he looked drunk and wanted him to pull out of the drive-thru to get some sleep'
- Charge them: Scott Morrison calls for 'disrespectful' protesters to be arrested if they attend Black Lives Matter rallies after COVID case found at last weekend's march
- Coronavirus live updates: California is testing more than 100,000 people a day as pandemic rages
- Black women are often overlooked by social justice movements, a new study finds
- Brands tout Black heritage as some shoppers question authenticity
- 'Hope flows through her': artist Marc Quinn on replacing Colston with a Black Lives Matter statue
- Face the Nation Transcript September 18, 2016: King, Kaine, Conway, Priebus
- Boris Johnson confirms his race equality commission will also look at issues faced by working class white boys as Labour's David Lammy accuses PM of wanting a 'culture war'
- Black Lives Matter's surprising target: Los Angeles County's first Black district attorney
- Handcuffs to light bulbs shine light on painful Black experience
Black Woman Says She Wasn’t Allowed in Waffle House as White People Dined Inside; Restaurant Faces Calls for Boycott have 856 words, post on www.theroot.com at May 1, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.