Addressing the event, Vice Chairman of the municipal People’s Committee Le Van Tam said that the blood donation movement has been launched in the city since 1999, with the volume of blood units collected rising over the years.
Last year, Can Tho collected 31,747 blood units, equal to 115 percent of the target assigned by the National Steering Committee for Voluntary Blood Donation. In the first three months of this year, 8,518 blood units were donated, equivalent to 40 percent of this year’s quota.
However, Tam said that the blood collected is not enough at certain time, especially during the lunar New Year (Tet) and summer holidays, and the donors are mainly students and young people.
Therefore, this year’s meeting also aims to raise public awareness of the significance and importance of blood donation, he added.
After the meeting, participating delegates, students and locals donated a total of 650 blood units.
On the day, similar meetings were also held in the central province of Tuyen Quang and central Khanh Hoa province, with 450 blood units and 400 blood units collected, respectively./.CPV/VNA
- Youngster donates 1,200 blood units at Red Sunday blood donation festival
- Red Sunday blood donation drive to collect 50,000 blood units
- Red Sunday 2020 blood donation drive to collect 50,000 blood units
- Troops respond to blood donation drive
- Red Sunday expected to collect 50,000 blood units
- Hanoi Red Sunday expected to collect 50,000 blood units
- Premature Evaluation: Day of Infamy
- Guardian and Observer appeal for trees raises £250,000 in fortnight
- Red Journey 2017 collects some 30,000 blood units
- Give Life: Donate Blood In Santee This Holiday Season