The information was released during a meeting in Quang Nam on April 19 between a supervision team of the National Assembly’ Committee for External Affairs led by Nguyen Van Giau and Quang Nam authorities on the outcomes of the agreement between the governments of Vietnam and Laos on the settlement of illegal migration and marriage along the shared border, particularly the section between the two provinces.
Quang Nam has the two border districts of Tay Giang and Nam Giang, as well as the Nam Giang – Dak-Ta-Tooc and Tay Giang – Ka Lum border gates.
According to Director of the provincial Department of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Thanh Hong, eight illegal Lao migrants are living in Quang Nam, along with 15 illegal marriage cases of Lao people.
Meanwhile, there are three Vietnamese households and 21 illegal marriages in Sekong.
In the upcoming meeting, leaders of the two localities will made decisions on each cases in line with the agreement between the two countries’ governments in the field.
Chairman of the National Assembly’ Committee for External Affairs Nguyen Van Giau said that in the coming time, Quang Nam should coordinate closely with Sekong in coping with arising problems during the implementation of the agreement.
He also asked the border districts of the province to strengthen communications on law among the community to end illegal migration and marriage.
Over the past years, Quang Nam have delivered 2,000 Vietnamese-Lao bilingual handbooks to locals to update them on laws related to nationality, citizen status, migration and marriage along the border.
- Quy Nhon and Quang Nam take the baton
- Search underway for missing fisherman in Quang Nam
- Notice of initial public offering - Quang Nam Centre for Agro-Forestry Varieties
- Pro-refugee Italian mayor arrested for 'aiding illegal migration'
- US-funded project helps develop rattan, herbal plants in Quang Nam
- Spring festivals in full swing in Lao Cai province
- Muong Khuong, Bat Xat - new destinations in Lao Cai province
- Vietnamese, Lao provinces seek to boost cross-border trade
- Việt Nam hit Laos for six at SEA Games
- Laos PM starts official visit to Việt Nam