The M6 motorway is closed and traffic is queuing following a ‘serious collision’ involving around five vehicles.
Traffic data company INRIX reports five vehicles are involved in the accident, which took place shortly before 10pm.
Police, paramedics are all understood to be at the scene of the accident.
A Highways England spokesman said: “The M6 northbound in Staffordshire is closed between J13 (Stafford, A34) and J14 (Stafford (N), Stone, Eccleshall, A34) due to a serious collision. All emergency services are attending the incident.
“Road users planning on travelling on the M6 or local roads in the area should allow additional time for their journey and consider alternative routes, if possible.”
The entry slip road onto the motorway at junction 13 is also closed, INRIX reports.
The accident is affecting all traffic heading towards Stoke-on-Trent on the motorway.
Elsewhere the northbound carriageway is closed between junction 16 and junction 17 due to roadworks.
The northbound carriageway was also due to be closed between junction 12 and 14 for roadworks, but it is unclear if this will now be the case due to this accident.
Some traffic was initially trapped following the closure but this is now being released, Highways England have said.
There is no word yet on when the carriageway is likely to reopen.
At present we also have no information on the types of vehicles involved in the accident, or if anyone has been hurt.
We’ll continue to bring you live updates on this accident as we get them on the live feed beliow.
Highways England are asking motorists to factor extra time into their journeys, with a diversion also in place:
A spokesman said: “Traffic is being directed off of the M6 at J13 and should follow the route marked with a hollow diamond symbol on local road signs. This will take traffic on the A449 in to Stafford. In Stafford traffic should join the A34 Queensway. Remain on the A34 northbound to the junction with the A5013 (Eccleshall Road). Join the A5013 northbound and continue to rejoin the M6 at J14.”
Lanes now reopening
Highways England have just confirmed they’re preparing to reopen parts of the motorway.
A spokesman said:
Entry slip road at junction 13 also closed
Inrix, the traffic data company, reports the entry sliproad onto the northbound carriageway at junction 13 is also shut.
A Highways England spokesman said:
Traffic is being directed off of the M6 at J13 and should follow the route marked with a hollow diamond symbol on local road signs. This will take traffic on the A449 in to Stafford. In Stafford traffic should join the A34 Queensway. Remain on the A34 northbound to the junction with the A5013 (Eccleshall Road). Join the A5013 northbound and continue to rejoin the M6 at J14.”
Motorists should factor more time into their journeys
A Highways England spokesman said:
Road users planning on travelling on the M6 or local roads in the area should allow additional time for their journey and consider alternative routes, if possible.”
Trapped traffic being released but road remains closed
A Highways England spokesman has said trapped traffic is being released but the norhtbound carriageway remains shut.
The spokesman said: “Traffic in the closure is being released past the scene in lane 3. Please remain with your vehicle and you’ll be on your way again ASAP. Please pass scene with care. The road remains closed J13-J14.”
What we know so far
- The northbound M6 is closed near Stafford following what Highways England are describing as a ‘serious’ collision.
- Five vehicles are involved, according to traffic data company INRIX
- All emergency services are reported to be at the scene
- The accident took place just before 10pm
- Some traffic is trapped, while other vehicles are being diverted
Location of the accident
- UFC champ Jones named as suspect in hit-and-run accident by police
- Eastern Kentucky player killed in auto accident
- Former Tiger TE Lutzenkirchen’s legacy lives on
- Google self-driving car rear-ended in first injury accident
- Cardinals rookie outfielder Oscar Taveras, 22, dies in car accident
- Cardinals OF Taveras dies in car accident in DR
- Team USA and former Georgia runner dies in car accident
- Crean suspends three, including player behind wheel in Davis accident
- The Latest: Jokingly, Bolt blames Gatlin for accident
- Former Auburn TE Lutzenkirchen killed in car accident
- Accident has changed how Panthers QB Newton’s views life
- Former Titans kicker Bironas killed in single-vehicle SUV crash
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. goes old school at Americarna Live car show
- Live blog: Follow updates from the TUDOR United SportsCar finale
- Iowa State’s Monte Morris lives to give, on the court and off
- Olympic star Van Dyken severs spinal cord in crash
- Former UFC champ Jon Jones avoids jail, sentenced to probation and community service
- Cincinnati shoots for a quick start vs Temple
- Panthers coach Ron Rivera’s house catches fire; family OK
- DW: Tony Stewart faces good news/bad news scenario
Live: M6 blocked due to five vehicle accident have 873 words, post on www.stokesentinel.co.uk at April 30, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.