TOKYO/KUALA LUMPUR – Japanese scientists are encouraging Southeast Asia’s palm oil producers to chop down trees to help save forests.Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences and IHI Enviro Corp., a subsidiary of IHI Corp., have developed a way to process scrapped palm trees into methane gas and wood pellets to be sold as feedstock to power generators. The system intends to help palm companies earn income while waiting for new trees to mature and curb their reliance on expanding plantations to boost output.Concerns about palm oil’s environmental impact have prompted the European Union to propose restricting its use in renewable fuels after 2020. Farmers in Malaysia and Indonesia, which account for 85 percent of supply, have been accused of illegally using slash-and-burn methods to clear land for plantations, which destroys rain forests. Producers typically need to replant oil palms after a couple of decades when they become unproductive and plant small areas slowly because they won’t get any revenue from those trees for three to five years.“Our project is aimed at reducing the negative impact on the environment of the palm oil industry, and making it sustainable,” Akihiko Kosugi, project leader at JIRCAS’s biological resources division, said in an… Read full this story
- New Jersey native helps fuel oil industry
- African Energy Chamber and the Oil Industry Congratulates Equatorial Guinea’s Government on Setting Up One-Stop Shop
- African American Oil Industry Veterans Open the World of Oil & Gas Using Blockchain Technology
- See The Stirring Anti-Palm Oil Ad Deemed Too Political For TV
- Houston Attorney: Oil Industry Profits Rising, But People are Paying the Price
- We Need to Talk About Palm Oil
- OPEC looks to cut oil production to support falling price
- Guatemalan farms shift to palm oil, fueling family migration
- Senators demand names of oil industry contacts from Interior Dept.
- Oil industry gets mixed inventory numbers ahead of Thanksgiving
Japanese scientists look to help palm oil industry tap green energy demand have 328 words, post on www.japantimes.co.jp at April 19, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.