A round-up of the Indian results at the Archery World Cup Stage 1 in Shanghai on Thursday
News 26 Apr 2018, 23:31 IST
The Indian men’s and women’s compound teams made it to the bronze medal play-off on an otherwise lacklustre day for India at the Archery World Cup Stage 1 in Shanghai, China on Thursday. The trio of Abhishek Verma, Rajat Chauhan and Chinna Raju Srither was beaten 233-236 by top seeds Korea in the semi-finals.
The Indians, who were the defending champions, will now take on France in the bronze medal contest. France were shown the door 230-233 by Team USA in the other semi-final.
In the women’s section, the troika of Jyothi Surekha Vennam, Madhumita Kumari and Kirar Muskan led Russia initially in the semi-final match, but were eventually edged 227-228. The Russians now go on to face Chinese Taipei in the final while India and the Netherlands will fight it out in the bronze medal play-off.
This is the first major event of the 2018 season for the Indian archers as they gear up for the Asian Games later in the year. However, other than these results, there was not much to cheer about for the Indian contingent as the recurve archers totally disappointed. None of the recurve teams could progress past the quarter-finals.
A lot was expected from the individual section, but the top Indian archers flattered to deceive as nobody managed to make it to the quarter-finals. Former World No. 1 Deepika Kumari was blown away 1-7 by the seventh seeded Chinese Cao Hui in the Round of 16. Eighth seeded Ankita Bhakat was the best performing Indian in qualifying, but she too fell 4-6 to China’s An Qixuan in the same round as Kumari.
On the men’s side, Atanu Das was blanked 0-6 by Indonesia’s seventh seeded Ega Agatha Riau.
In compound archery, 2014 Asian Games silver medallist Abhishek Verma was sent packing 146-150 by Italy’s Federico Pagnoni. Jyothi Surekha Vennam, who was a part of the 2017 World Championships silver medal-winning team, succumbed to a 144-145 defeat to Chinese Taipei’s Lin Ming-Ching.
India will now look to make amends in the mixed team competition, which will be held on Friday.
Fetching more content…
Fetching more content…
- ISSF Junior World Cup: Sift Kaur Samra Makes it 10 Gold Medals for India at Suhl
- ISSF Junior World Cup: India Clean Sweep Women's 25M Pistol at Suhl
- As Socceroos ponder potential World Cup absence, high cost for parents hurts next generation
- U.S. men's hockey team falls to Finland at worlds, extending streak
- "The World Cup is...": BCCI President Sourav Ganguly Says This On Virat Kohli And Rohit Sharma's Lean IPL 2022 | Cricket News
- Aishwarya Pratap Singh Tomar Shoots Junior 3 Positions World Record, India Top Medals Tally
- Thomas Cup victory: Shuttle champs become brand favourites after title win
- U.S. Soccer Federation Says Men and Women Who Play Soccer Aren't Doing the Same Job
- Vinod Rai comes up with more shocking revelations: Men's jerseys were re-stitched for women!
- PM Modi Interacts With Team India After Historic Title Win In Thomas Cup 2022 Final - Watch
- Women’s IPL 2022: Top Indian and overseas players to watch out for in the tournament
- Akash Madhwal To Replace Suryakumar Yadav in Mumbai Indians IPL 2022 Squad | Cricket News
- Carlos Yulo jacks up gold medal haul to five—and promises to win more next time
- Nikhat Zareen, Manisha Assure India Medals At Women's World Boxing Championships | Boxing News
- Indian Badminton Heroics Knock Even Cricket Off Front Pages | Badminton News
- Defeats serve Team China wake-up call
- Thomas Cup Winners Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Chirag Shetty Pull Out Of Thailand Open | Badminton News
- Thomas Cup winners Satwik-Chirag pull out of Thailand Open | Badminton News - Times of India
- India beats RI, wins first Thomas Cup crown
- "Didn't Play For Money Or Fame": Brett Lee's Emotional Tribute To Andrew Symonds | Cricket News
Archery World Cup: Indian men’s and women’s compound teams in bronze medal play-off have 624 words, post on www.sportskeeda.com at April 26, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.