Brad Mills-USA TODAY Sports
In a surprising move that took place directly after this year’s Pro Bowl, the Washington Redskins orchestrated a trade for quarterback Alex Smith. That trade abruptly put an end to quarterback Kirk Cousins’ future in Washington.
Fast forward a couple months and Redskins head coach Jay Gruden had this to say when asked if the team is now better off with Smith.
“Yeah, without a doubt,” Gruden said, per John Keim of ESPN. “I don’t want to compare two players, but we’re always trying to be better at every position. We got better. Alex’s experience is well-noted, and his record the last five years is what it is. You could argue that all day, but we feel very good.”
These remarks must be a bit of a gut punch to Cousins, who did the team no wrong while patiently playing under franchise tender for the last two seasons.
But ultimately, Washington allowed Cousins to walk. Accordingly, the Redskins made a smart move in acquiring Smith who would have been snatched up quickly by any team in need should he have officially hit the trade block.
As Gruden says, the team should “feel very good” about gaining a quarterback who rarely makes a mistake. During Smith’s tenure with the Kansas City Chiefs, he averaged a 65.1 pass completion rate while throwing for 102 touchdowns compared to just 33 interceptions from 2013-17.
On top of that, Smith has seven playoff games under his belt. If he can help Washington get to the postseason in 2018, then all the better. And as far as Cousins is concerned, he did not make out too shabbily, recently becoming the highest-paid quarterback in the league.
- FMIA—3 A.M. Wakeup Call with Andy Reid: Talking Meatballs, Mahomes and Trying To Rip Out Hearts in Miami
- Redskins offseason tracker 2020: Free agency scorecard, key dates, rumors, latest updates and more
- FMIA, NFL Scouting Combine: Thirty Bits of Buzz From the Scene in Indy
- FMIA: A 2020 Combine Preview and How to Save the Ill-Fated Pass Interference Replay System
- Mel Kiper weighs possibility of Redskins taking Tua Tagovailoa
- FMIA Week 13: Featuring a Duck and a Darkhorse, Playoff Picture Fills Out
- NFL insider notes: Finding truth in what general managers said at the 2020 combine, and what it really means
- NFL insider notes: Finding truth in what was said at the 2020 combine, and what it really means
- Ranking Shock Value Of Potential Tom Brady Destinations
- Bears offseason tracker 2020: Key dates, free agency scorecard, NFL draft rumors, latest updates and more
- MLB offseason grades: Twins, Dodgers, Yankees get high marks; 'F' for Cubs, Red Sox, others
- Bears offseason 2020 tracker: Free agency scorecard, key dates, NFL Draft news, latest updates and more
- Lorde's US tour has flopped – but it might be the making of her
Jay Gruden: Alex Smith ‘without a doubt’ is an upgrade at QB have 453 words, post on www.yardbarker.com at March 31, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.