Brits can now make free phone calls with a Google Home speaker.
Launched in the US last year, the feature allows you to call your contacts just by asking the device. It even works if your phone isn’t nearby.
The Home and Home Mini are Google’s entries to the voice-activated smart home device market. You can use it like a landline phone by saying “Hey Google, call mum” (or whoever). It then places the call over Wi-Fi, which is why it’s free. Unlike the Amazon Echo, which can only dial out to an app on the other person’s phone, Google Home calls any mobile or landline number like a regular phone.
Update your Home to get the new feature. In theory the speaker should recognise up to six voices, so if your other half or flatmate says “Call mum”, you shouldn’t have to worry about being put through to a confused alternative mother. Of course, that depends how thick your accent is.
Now Playing: Watch this: The problem with voice recognition: It’s shite being…
- How to get free wi-fi and phonecalls in Portsmouth city centre
- UK weather forecast: Britain set for 18C scorcher as hot as PORTUGAL on first day of spring – but cold front will return
- UK weather forecast – Met Office warns of hill snow, hail, and sleet this weekend after 2 inches of rain tomorrow
- UK weather forecast – Atlantic blast to bring SNOW, gales and plunging temperatures to the UK tomorrow
- UK braced for Icelandic air then gales as -5C weather forecast next week
- Weather forecast sees -10C Icelandic winds freeze the UK for a MONTH as warnings over ‘dangerous’ cold snap issued
- UK weather forecast – SNOWBOMB to hit Britain today bringing four inches of snow in -11C ice blast
- Alfie Evans parents in new legal bid as Alder Hey hospital complain of ‘significant disruption’ during protest last night
- UK weather forecast – 24C Good Friday SCORCHER with sun for everyone tomorrow, says Met Office
- $66 a month for medicine and clothes. Adult care home residents say that’s not enough.
- Eugénie Brazier marked with Google Doodle – why is the French chef being celebrated on her 123rd birthday?
- Who is Sajid Javid? Home Secretary who replaced Amber Rudd when she resigned over the Windrush scandal
- Free speech concerns over possible extension of ‘right to be forgotten’ online
- Detecting Depression: Phone Apps Could Monitor Teen Mental Health
- Young mum ‘drowned baby and left him to be eaten by maggots to get revenge on ex’
- Parents should leave their phones in the kitchen overnight to set a good example to their kids, MP adviser says
- 5 Things Google Assistant Does Better Than Siri
- UK weather today – Heavy storms incoming as Met Office issues warning with 80mph gales, floods and rain
- UK police to lose phone and web data search authorisation powers
- UK weather forecast – sun and 25C heat today but thunderstorms are on way from Saturday
"Hey Google, call Mum": Google Home gets free UK phone calls have 478 words, post on www.cnet.com at March 7, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.