Hai Ha 18 was exploded, while pumping gasoline in Vietnam’s northern Hai Phong city. Photo by VnExpress
According to an initial investigation, a fuel pump malfunctioned, causing the explosion.
A tanker exploded in a fireball on Saturday afternoon while it was being filled with fuel at a port in Vietnam’s northern city of Hai Phong.
No human losses have been reported, but the explosion caused a huge fire and a dark column of smoke stretching tens of meters into the sky.
At the time of the explosion, the Hai Ha 2 was carrying 900 cubic meters of A92 gasoline.
Minister of Public Security To Lam and Hai Phong officials were quickly on the scene to direct firefighting efforts.
Up to 400 firefighters, 15 fire trucks, a salvage tug and another vessel battled for hours trying to extinguish the fire, which some local media reports said has been brought under control.
Local authorities alerted hundreds of nearby households to prepare for evacuation on Saturday night in case the fire spread. The tanker was then moved to a safe area away from infrastructure projects.
With a capacity of 950 tons, the Hai Ha 18 was launched by the Thai Binh Province-based transport firm Ha Ha in 2010, and underwent its latest equipment safety checks on February 12.
- Moving car catches fire in northern Vietnam, none injured
- Sleeper bus blast in northern Vietnam caused by explosives: police
- No explosive found in northern Vietnam's deadly bike explosion
- Four motorbikes burnt inside northern Vietnam home
- Rotational power cuts take place in northern Vietnam
- Oil-recycling workshop explodes in northern Vietnam
- Bike explodes, kills pregnant woman, child in northern Vietnam
- China investigates explosions at Tianjin toxic-materials site
- Vehicular fires continue in Vietnam, still puzzling
- Cargo challenge: Many obstacles for Vietnam's shipping industry
- Japan helps spur investment in northern hi-tech park
- Mystery fires continue to destroy motorbikes in Vietnam
- Inaccurate study leads to trouble for Vietnam’s $325mn yarn plant
- US aims to become Vietnam’s top investor
- Vietnam's electricity industry under fire for power blackouts
- Vietnam FDI tops US$5 billion in first half
- Congo: UN says at least 220 dead in oil explosion
- Explosion kills 39 at Venezuela's biggest refinery
- DR.Congo fuel truck fire kills 230
- China races to prevent environmental disaster after tanker sinks
Fuel tanker erupts in giant explosion in northern Vietnam have 353 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at March 10, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.