Hai Ha 18 was exploded, while pumping gasoline in Vietnam’s northern Hai Phong city. Photo by VnExpress
According to an initial investigation, a fuel pump malfunctioned, causing the explosion.
A tanker exploded in a fireball on Saturday afternoon while it was being filled with fuel at a port in Vietnam’s northern city of Hai Phong.
No human losses have been reported, but the explosion caused a huge fire and a dark column of smoke stretching tens of meters into the sky.
At the time of the explosion, the Hai Ha 2 was carrying 900 cubic meters of A92 gasoline.
Minister of Public Security To Lam and Hai Phong officials were quickly on the scene to direct firefighting efforts.
Up to 400 firefighters, 15 fire trucks, a salvage tug and another vessel battled for hours trying to extinguish the fire, which some local media reports said has been brought under control.
Local authorities alerted hundreds of nearby households to prepare for evacuation on Saturday night in case the fire spread. The tanker was then moved to a safe area away from infrastructure projects.
With a capacity of 950 tons, the Hai Ha 18 was launched by the Thai Binh Province-based transport firm Ha Ha in 2010, and underwent its latest equipment safety checks on February 12.
- Astronomers spot a FIREBALL of X-ray radiation erupting from a dead star undergoing a nova explosion for the first time
- Russian arms depot rocked by explosion as smoke and fire erupts after 'Ukrainian strike'
- Just Stop Oil activists cause M25 misery vandalising fuel pumps and blocking services
- 'Russia is in a hurry' Vladimir Putin to speed up Ukraine attacks as sanctions fuel unrest
- The Hell After ISIS
- Russia announces expulsion of 40 German diplomats in tit-for-tat move — as it happened
- Russia announces expulsion of 40 German diplomats in tit-for-tat move — live updates
- Ukraine: UEFA bans Russian teams from Champions League — live updates
- Ukraine: UEFA bans Russian teams from Champions League — as it happened
- Russia admits it faces economic collapse over Putin’s war
- Emmanuel Macron unpopular, but president again
- Ukraine-Russia war LIVE – ‘Credible evidence’ recorded of sexual violence against CHILDREN by Vladimir Putin’s troops
- Ukraine-Russia war LIVE – I know EXACTLY how to crush evil monster Vladimir Putin & free Ukraine, ex President reveals
- Live updates | Russian forces hit key bridge in Ukraine
- Russia's 'only oil pipeline to EU' in flames – Germany, Austria, and Hungary face crisis
- Asean News Headlines at 9pm on Tuesday (May 10, 2022)
- Ukraine morning briefing: Five developments as figures reveal Britain has imported £220m of Russian oil since invasion
- EU defies gas 'blackmail' as Russia pushes deeper into Ukraine
- 'Very worst of this woke culture' Piers Morgan in new swipe at Meghan Markle and Harry
- As Pakistan and Iran face Afghan unrest, militants wage war on China's ties
Fuel tanker erupts in giant explosion in northern Vietnam have 438 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at March 10, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.