The European Commission on March 22 hosted a high-level conference on its strategy to reform the financial system in support of the EU’s climate and sustainable development agenda.
According to the Commission, this event is an opportunity to maintain the momentum established at the One Planet Summit, cementing the support and commitment of EU leaders and key private players for the changes needed in the financial system and the economy. European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and Vice-President Valdis Dombrovskis jointly host the event in Brussels.
“Europe is open for sustainable business. But climate change knows no boundaries and will affect us all,” Juncker said. “We cannot work alone. This is why we want to lead international efforts and will work with our G7, G20 and United Nations partners to set global sustainable finance standards […] Two decades ago, sustainability was a specialist topic for experts and scientists. Today, it is a daily reality and a priority for governments, for financial institutions, for business and for citizens […]. At its heart it is about making sure that our money works for our planet as well as our bottom line. There is no greater return on investment,” the European Commission added.
Participants discussed how best to put the Commission’s Action Plan on Sustainable Finance into practice. The Action Plan, launched on March 8, is part of the Capital Markets Union’s (CMU) efforts to connect finance with the specific needs of the European economy to the benefit of the planet and our society. It is also one of the key steps towards implementing the historic Paris Agreement and the EU implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Donald Tusk: EU will only back short Brexit delay if May’s deal passes
- Freshmen Perry, Johnson to get starts in ASU secondary
- Where safety and strategy meet, culture of football changes
- Jayhawks can take advantage of a spotty Baylor defense
- Thomas Cook in £750m rescue deal talks with biggest shareholder
- Wolves want All-Star fans to ‘Show Kevin Some Love’
- 15 greatest first-half starts over the past 40 MLB seasons
- NBA playoffs Day 1: Rough start for home teams
- Lindor, Wolters among Indians at Arizona Fall League
- The Latest: Obama would ‘welcome’ Russian focus on IS
- The Latest: Large police operation under way in Paris suburb
- The Latest: Cleric clarifies comment tying Paris to racism
- The Latest: Russians put bomber in graphic to show IS fight
- The Latest: Moving ceremony in London to honor Paris victims
- The Latest: US lawmakers condemn the attacks in Paris
- The Latest: German minister mum on details of planned attack
- The Latest: US: Very likely IS directed the Paris attacks
- The Latest: Paris attackers known to American intelligence
- The Latest: Hannover stadium evacuated, soccer game canceled
- The Latest: Soccer fans in London show support for Paris
EU gets greener, cleaner economy strategy into high gear have 455 words, post on www.neweurope.eu at March 23, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.