- Police responded to reports of a shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland just as classes were getting underway early Tuesday morning.
- At least three people were shot and injured, according to local media reports, including the shooter.
- The shooter is dead, law-enforcement officials said.
- An armed, on-duty resource officer at the school engaged the shooter to end the threat.
- Great Mills is located in St. Mary’s County, Maryland, about 65 miles southeast of Washington, DC.
At least three students were shot and injured at Great Mills High School in Maryland on Tuesday morning, law-enforcement officials said, in a shooting that was interrupted by a school-resource officer.
The suspected gunman is dead, St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron said. Reports say the shooter fired at a female student in a hallway just as classes were getting underway. The person also reportedly fired at another student.
An armed resource officer on duty at the school then engaged the shooter to end the threat. The officer was not injured.
“Our school resource officer who was stationed inside the school was alerted. … He pursued the shooter, engaged the shooter, during which that engagement he fired a round at the shooter. Simultaneously, the shooter fired a round as well,” Cameron said.
The three students were transported to local hospitals. A female student is in critical condition while the third student is in critical but stable condition, Cameron said.
Authorities first responded to reports of gunfire at the school around 8 a.m.
The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s office, along with state police and special agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, arrived to investigate the scene.
Hereâ¬”s a look from the sceneoutside Great Mills High School in Great Mills, Maryland, which iscurrently on lockdown after a shooting at the school, St.Mary’s County Public Schools says https://t.co/O0tm9C2l8X pic.twitter.com/2dJ05pghF6
— CNN (@CNN) March 20, 2018
The St. Mary’s County Public Schools’ website said students were being bused from Great Mills to a reunification center at a nearby high school where their parents can pick them up.
Mollie Davis, whose Twitter bio says she’s 17, tweeted that she was inside the school during the shooting.
I just boarded the bus to leave the school to go to the pick up center. I feel like there’s so much I want to say but I can’t find the right words. I wish everything was different.
— Mollie Davis (@davism0llie) March 20, 2018
Law enforcement officials have not yet identified a suspect in the shooting.
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said on Twitter he was “closely monitoring the situation” and that his “prayers are with students, school personnel, and first responders.”
Rep. Steny Hoyer, whose congressional district includes Great Mills, also said his “prayers are with the students, parents, and teachers” and urged everyone to obey instructions from local police.
The shooting at Great Mills comes one week after students at the school participated in a nationwide school walkout to protest gun violence in schools.
Last month, 17 people were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, sparking a nationwide debate over the extent to which guns should be regulated.
On Saturday, thousands of students are expected to participate in a “March for Our Lives” protest in Washington, DC, to demand an end to mass gun violence.
This is a developing story. Refresh for updates.
- Attorney, judge argue over Florida school shooting evidence
- At least 6 hurt in Southern California high school shooting
- California school shooting suspect described as quiet, smart
- School shooting’s criminal, civil cases slowly creep forward
- Teenager pleads not guilty to Washington school shootings
- Lawyers for school shooting suspect ask judge to recuse self
- 'Multiple victims' in school shooting near Los Angeles
- Suspected gunman, 16, in California high school shooting dies in hospital
- Joe Biden Damns America's Inaction After Santa Clarita School Shooting: 'What Does That Say About Our Soul?'
- At least six injured in Southern California high school shooting
- Florida Students Lead Anti-Gun Rally After School Shooting
- Police: Child And Man Injured In Shooting At High School Football Game In Pleasantville
- What we know about the California school shooting suspect
- Police: Man, Juvenile Injured In Shooting At High School Football Game In Pleasantville
- 1 dead, 2 injured in shooting at Washington apartment building
- Following school shooting, Biden speaks out: 'We have to protect these kids'
- Friends Are Remembering A California School Shooting Victim. There’s “A Hole In Everyone’s Hearts.”
- "I Couldn't Believe It": Friends And Family Are Mourning A Girl Killed In The California School Shooting
- US high school shooting: Five wounded in attack at Saugus High School in Los Angeles
- Santa Clarita High School Shooting Suspect That Killed 2, Identified
2 students reported injured at school shooting in Maryland that was interrupted by school resource officer have 778 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at March 20, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.