Colombian authorities arrested Washington Prado (C), seen as Ecuador’s “Pablo Escobar,” in April 2017. PHOTO: AFP
A drug kingpin dubbed Ecuador’s “Pablo Escobar” who was under arrest in Colombia was extradited to the United States early Saturday, local officials said here.
Washington Prado, also known as “Gerard,” faces charges of moving more than 250 tonnes of Colombian cocaine from Ecuador’s Pacific coast to Central America and beyond to the United States, Colombian prosecutors said in a statement.
Death-row Indonesian kingpin ran drug ring from prison
Colombian authorities captured the Prado in April 2017 and held him in a maximum security prison in Bogota.
Authorities compared Prado to the late Colombian kingpin Escobar — killed in a 1993 police operation in Medellin, Colombia — for his powerful role in Ecuador’s drug trafficking world.
Prado has also been linked to bribing and murdering prosecutors and investigators in Ecuador.
‘Narcos’ moves to Mexico following Escobar, Cali Cartel’s fall
Prado tried to avoid extradition by claiming to be an ex-guerrilla with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
As part of the peace deal between Colombia and the FARC that ended a five-decade-long conflict, ex-guerrillas involved in drug trafficking could avoid extradition to the United States in exchange for reparations and a vow to abandon their life of violent crime.
- ‘Narcos’ moves to Mexico following Escobar, Cali Cartel’s fall
The new season will feature Michael Pena and Diego Luna
- Customs seizes drugs worth over Rs2m coming from Afghanistan
Collector Ashraf Ali says customs working for eradication of narcotics from country
- Death-row Indonesian kingpin ran drug ring from prison
Last year, the government vowed to jail guards caught taking bribes from inmates in exchange for special treatment
- Drugs lord Pablo Escobar’s ‘cocaine hippos’ must be culled, scientists say
- Drug syndicate 'kingpin' and most-wanted fugitive arrested at Dutch airport
- Inside the blood-soaked ‘cocaine highway’ from the Peruvian jungle to Miami nightclubs moving drugs worth millions
- 55 of the best TV shows to watch on Netflix
- The 55 best TV shows to stream on Netflix
- 55 best TV shows to stream on Netflix
- 55 of the best TV shows to stream on Netflix
- The 55 best TV shows to binge-watch on Netflix
- 55 of the best TV shows to binge-watch on Netflix
- The 55 best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- Dark Side of the Ring: Neon's pro-wrestling investigation is a compelling watch
- Marwa, more than marijuana
- Ghislaine Maxwell offers to pay for guards to stop her fleeing from own home
Ecuador's 'Pablo Escobar' drug kingpin extradited to US have 431 words, post on tribune.com.pk at February 25, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.