Waymo continues to expand the pool of locations where it’s testing its autonomous vehicle tech, and the latest destination is metro Atlanta. The former Google self-driving car company revealed the news on Twitter, noting that it’s expanding considerably its geographic testing footprint now that it’s got fully driverless test vehicles on the road in Phoenix.
Its test cars in cities outside of Arizona still have safety drivers at the wheel, but the more places it can get its Pacificas with autonomous tech on roads, the better for building an autonomous driving “brain” that can handle anything it encounters. Atlanta has some specific challenges, including bad traffic (commute and traffic issues are ranked among the worst locations in the U.S.) and one of the more dense greater metro areas in the U.S., and temperatures that regularly reach a humid 80+ degrees Fahrenheit.
Metro Atlanta marks Waymo’s 25th test city in total, including its recent return to San Francisco. Its testing so far has consisted of mapping the city with manually driven Waymo vehicles ahead of launching its testing program in full.
A Waymo spokesperson provided the following statement to TechCrunch regarding the expansion:
Now that we have the world’s first fleet of fully self-driving cars on public roads, we’re focused on taking our technology to a wide variety of cities and environments. We’re looking forward to our testing in Metro Atlanta, and the opportunity to bring this lifesaving technology to more people in more places.
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal also provided the statement below:
With our talented workforce and legacy of innovation, Georgia is at the forefront of the most dynamic, cutting edge industries like autonomous vehicles. We are thrilled to welcome Waymo to our state because fully self-driving vehicle technology holds tremendous potential to improve road safety, and we are proud Georgia is paving the way for the future of transportation.
Reporting by Darrell Etherington for TechCrunch.Related Video:
- Make Sure That Your Car Is Ready For A Summer Getaway
- Car Safety Devices to Look Out For When Buying a Car
- Driving Test is a Necessity
- The Issue With Self-Esteem
- Driving On The Wrong Side of the Road and Car Hire in Australia
- Talking and Texting Could Cost Your Car Insurance
- Great Places to Visit in Murcia by Hire Car
- From The Garage To The Road - Getting Your Classic Car Ready For Spring
- Car Insurance - In the Event of an Accident (Part 1)
- Campervan-Motorhome Hire Or Rental Car? - Which is the Best Option?
- The Credit Crunch Strikes Hem Lines and Car Insurance
- Cars - A Look at History
- Ten Tips to Building Self Esteem
- Parking at Atlanta Airport
- I Want Help to Get My Drivers License - Self Hypnosis Can Help You
- ANCAP Crash Test - Ford Focus (LHD) Without Side
- How To Choose The Right New Or Used Car For You And Your Family
- Will You Make This Same Car Buying Mistake?
- What is the Full Spectrum of Conflict For Self Protection on the Streets and in the Home?
- Buying Cars
Waymo heads to Atlanta to test its self-driving cars have 497 words, post on www.autoblog.com at January 22, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.