The Vietnam-China Friendship Palace in Hanoi was opened on Sunday afternoon with special guest Chinese President Xi Jinping in attendance.
The Chinese president, who landed a couple of hours earlier for an official visit, was accompanied by Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan, chairwoman of Vietnam’s legislative National Assembly.
The palace features Chinese architectural styles and the iconic Vietnamese lotus flower in its design.
It includes a 1,500-seat theater, a conference room and a tea room, as well as space for learning about Chinese medicine.
Vietnamese and Chinese leaders approved the project in 2004 and work started in March 2015 at a cost of nearly VND800 billion ($35.2 million), two thirds of which was funded by China.
Xi landed in Hanoi before noon on Sunday for a two-day visit.
The palace tour will be followed by an official reception and a state dinner hosted by Vietnam’s Party chief Nguyen Phu Trong and President Tran Dai Quang.
Vietnam is Xi’s first overseas destination after he was granted another five years as China’s Party General Secretary at the 19th Chinese Communist Party Congress in October.
The Vienamese ambassador to Beijing said the visit will help deepen ties between Vietnam and its giant neighbor, and “guide the comprenhensive strategic partnership to a new level”.
Xi has just attended the APEC Summit in Da Nang, around 800 kilometers (500 miles) south of Hanoi, where he delivered a speech on globalization which he said is an “irreversible” trend, countering U.S. President Donald Trump’s protectionist speech.
- Trade War Watch: Germany and China Now Best Friends
- China confirms it will halt added tariffs on U.S.-made cars
- China’s latest trade move is a big cut to car tariffs
- New Balance Turns On Trump’s China Tariffs
- China, Norway vow to write new chapter in bilateral ties
- In race to woo Putin, cupid favors Xi over Trump
- China's Xi renews pledges to open economy, cut tariffs on cars
- Text of President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address
- China’s technology tactics irk its trading partners
- As G-20 Summit Opens, Contentious Issues Loom on Sidelines
- VinFast: behind Vietnam’s rapid-fire automotive dream
- Is China’s economy going to Implode?
- Stocks bounce back on US-China hopes; eyes on US jobs data
- S. Korea leader urges denuclearization steps from North
- Tesla Goes Its Own Way On The Feds' Investigation Of The Fatal Model X Crash
- Chinese Checkers: Playing to win at any cost
- ‘Inappropriate Message’ Sacks BuzzFeed’s Adrian Carrasquillo
- US seeks to assuage Asian allies after N. Korea summit
- How Eric Hobsbawm helped shape the global Marxist imagination – Emile Chabal
- Dystopia Journal #28: No Vacancy
Hanoi welcomes President Xi to opening of Vietnam-China Friendship Palace have 420 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 12, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.