I RECKON Prince Harry’s girlfriend has scored a spectacular own goal by invading her own privacy and adorning the front cover of Vanity Fair while trilling about how much they both love each other.
She really can’t have it both ways.
I had a great deal of sympathy for Meghan Markle when, at the end of last year, Prince Harry was forced to ask the world’s media to give her a bit of privacy and leave them both in peace.
He clearly believed she was being harassed and even said that some of the coverage was damaging.
He also expressed his regret at not being able to protect her from all the attention.
His pleas would have cut more ice if Meghan hadn’t then invited a glossy magazine into her Toronto home and happily chatted about her love life, as well as her career as one of the cast of TV show Suits.
I realise she is an actress, and part of her job is promoting the show, but I am sure bosses would have understood completely if she didn’t want to do photocalls and interviews because of the sensitivity of her royal relationship.
Besides, they must be doing cartwheels at the amount of free publicity she is already bringing to their series because of her boyfriend.
Meghan didn’t have to do the photoshoot, but I can understand why she felt she couldn’t turn it down.
Vanity Fair just doesn’t do covers on actresses who aren’t even playing the lead character in their TV show.
The cover spot is for icons and A-listers, such as Angelina Jolie, Meryl Streep, Taylor Swift and Princess Diana.
It must have been extremely flattering for Meghan to be courted by a publication with such kudos and influence.
She knew she’d get the best photographers, make-up artists and stylists, as well as a degree of control over the photos and content of the interview.
I hope she thinks that it has all been worth it.
The photos may be gorgeous, but it’s surely now impossible for Meghan and Harry to play the privacy card, because she has voluntarily spoken so openly about their relationship.
The couple have been dating for more than a year and, for the first six months, were able to keep things under wraps.
What a novel time that must have been for Harry, so used to having every girl he gives a second look to being linked to him romantically.
With Meghan he was able to hang out, share a pizza and watch TV without always having to be on his guard and looking over his shoulder.
No wonder he was upset when the news of their romance was leaked and the couple had to emerge blinking into the spotlight.
As an ambitious actress, maybe Meghan wasn’t exactly annoyed when the romance went public.
Who wouldn’t want everyone to know that one of the world’s most eligible bachelors was head over heels in love with you?
I wouldn’t blame her, and I also happen to think she’d be a very good addition to the Royal Family.
She’s intelligent, has a track record of supporting charitable causes, and is light years away from the usual white, posh, upper-class bubble-heads Harry would have been expected to date and eventually marry.
The fact that she has been divorced and has a career should also be seen as positive.
I believe the noxious “grey men” who run the Royal Family would shudder in their hand-made shoes, and look down their noses if she became Harry’s wife — that alone is a reason for him to propose.
I still think, however, she has dropped a clanger with this interview.
Sadly, it will now be open season on both of them once again.
Any further pleas from Harry, no matter how heartfelt, to leave his girlfriend (and possible future fiancée) alone will fall on deaf ears, especially among the US and European paparazzi.
Even the fact that this week Prince William and Kate won substantial damages from a French magazine which printed topless photographs of the duchess in 2012 won’t stop Meghan being targeted.
She is the one who has pasted a bullseye on her bottom and enabled every snapper to claim they are justified in taking her photograph.
I don’t envy the increased attention she has brought on herself and I’m sure Prince Harry will be furious when it inevitably happens.
But maybe he should have told her to think twice before getting carried away by the sheer Vanity of being a cover girl.
JACOB REES-MOGG has repeatedly said he has no desire to be the next Prime Minister.
I don’t believe that will be something he need ponder ever again after admitting to Piers and Susanna on GMB this week that he was completely opposed to abortion, even in cases of rape or incest.
The staunch Catholic said all terminations were “morally indefensible”.
He also reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage, despite former Tory PM David Cameron claiming allowing gay marriage as one of his proudest achievements.
I would suggest that Jacob a very strange wee man, should visit a Rape Crisis centre and also meet women impregnated by rapists and listen to their harrowing stories.
Perhaps when confronted by human beings who suffered the most appalling of crimes, he might think again.
He should also attend a same-sex wedding, a joyous and life-affirming occasion when two people declare their love and commitment to one another in front of their friends and family.
I’m baffled as to why anyone would consider that to be shameful and wrong, and he might just change his mind – but I doubt it.
While some might find Rees-Mogg to be endearingly old-fashioned and quirky, the mask slipped and the bigot beneath was horribly exposed.
YOU have to feel sorry for Kate, who missed Prince George’s first day at school because of illness.
It’s a misnomer to call what she has been stricken down by “morning sickness” as the poor girl will be nauseous every waking moment.
This week I spoke to a woman with hyperemesis gravidarum, the same condition as Kate.
Her symptoms were so extreme the doctors offered her a termination.
She was unable to eat, had to be drip-fed in hospital and was vomiting in the birthing pool until her baby was born.
Sadly, women suffering from this horribly debilitating illness rarely receive the sympathy and understanding they deserve.
Kate will be feeling very sorry for herself right now and I’m sure there were tears because she wasn’t able to be with William and George on his big day.
Of course she will be receiving the best possible attention and she is lucky enough to be able to take to her bed for as along as necessary . . . but it’s still going to be a pretty miserable few months.
WE all know Tom Cruise is the ultimate control freak but making his ex-wife sign a contract when they split that apparently prevented her from going public with any future relationship for FIVE YEARS is just a whole new level of weirdness.
Those five years are finally up, and Katie Holmes was at last able to “own up” to being with her partner Jamie Foxx this week, after being forced to deny that they were a couple for years.
It’s utterly bizarre.
I really hope the money she got in the 2012 divorce settlement was worth having to sneak around, swear her friends to secrecy and live her life in denial.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘want to focus on helping military veterans in UK and US’ after Megxit
- Meghan Markle Called 'Five Clicks up From Trailer Trash' on MSNBC by Guest, and Social Media Weighs In
- Why Meghan Markle and Prince Harry didn't shake hands - and it wasn't royal protocol
- What Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Did in Their Final Royal Appearances and What's Next for the Couple
- MSNBC Guest Sparks Anger After Comparing Meghan Markle To “Trailer Trash”
- EXCLUSIVE: 'It's weird to her that no one hugs and everyone is so uptight, especially Kate.' Meghan Markle tells close friends her farewell trip to the UK is 'confirmation' she and Harry 'made the right choice in parting ways' since tension was so thick
- Smiling Meghan Markle breaks cover for the first time since Megxit: Duchess boards a seaplane to visit a women's shelter in Canada – as it’s revealed her father is set to testify against her in court battle
- Revealed: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will not be in Queen's Commonwealth Service procession... as last-minute change means Prince William and Kate Middleton will be led to their seats too
- Meghan Markle 'says tense final tour of UK confirms she and Harry are right to leave'
- Meghan Markle's Legal Case Against the
- From ‘genuine warmth’ to ‘glacial’ coldness: Photos of Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle chart the decline of their relationship over two years - as body language expert says it's blatantly clear they're 'not friends'
- Meghan Markle has already started her new life after flying straight to Canada from the Commonwealth Day Service to reunite with Archie while Prince Harry has stayed in the UK for meetings
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Charm the Crowds During London Outing: See the New Photos!
- Meghan Markle Channeled Princess Diana With Her Final Royal Engagement Look
- Will Meghan Markle Change the Royals, or Will the Royals Change Her?
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Feel They Are Being 'Driven Out,' Says Friend: 'It's Sad'
- Meghan Markle 'was a smiling face in a dull institution' and 'too good to be true' for the monarchy, says Booker Prize-winning Wolf Hall author Dame Hilary Mantel
- Facing the Megxit! Meghan Markle meets the Queen for the first time since couple announced their royal split as she and Prince Harry attend church service in Windsor
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry greet Prince William and Kate Middleton with a brief 'hello' in their first public meeting since Megxit - as they bow out of royal life at the Queen's Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey
- Inside Kylie Jenner’s old Malibu mansion Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘plan to rent for £12k a night post Megxit’
There’s only one reason why Meghan Markle would want to court publicity…. for sheer Vanity have 1711 words, post on www.thescottishsun.co.uk at September 8, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.