AL Gore is back on the scene with a second blockbuster climate change movie.
The failed presidential candidate turned climate campaigner has followed up his first foray into film making, An Inconvenient Truth, with the similarly titled An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power.
But who exactly is the former Vice President of the United States? The Sun Online explains.
Albert Arnold Gore Jr was born in Washington DC in 1948 to his congressman father Al Gore Sr and mother Pauline.
The family divided there time between the US capital city and the family farm in Carthage, Tennessee.
He attended a fee paying school before going to Harvard where he was roommates with actor Tommy Lee Jones, graduating with a degree in government in 1969.
Gore then enlisted in the Army during the time of the Vietnam War because he believed it would help his father’s electoral prospects.
He was stationed in Bien Hoa, Vietnam before being honourably discharged in 1971.
Aged 28 he entered the US House of Representatives as the member for Tennessee’s fourth district, succeeding his dad.
In 1985 he became the a senator for the state of Tennessee a post he would hold until he became Bill Clinton’s Vice President in 1993.
After Clinton won two terms he ran and lost against George W. Bush in 2000.
Following his loss he became immersed in the environmental movement in releasing his first film in An Inconvenient Truth in 2006.
The following year he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, jointly with the International Panel on Climate Change.
He is married to wife Mary Elizabeth “Tipper” Gore and has four children Karenna, Kristin, Sarah and Al Gore III.
A decade on from his first film Gore has made his second An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power in 2017.
Set for release on August 18 in the UK the film looks at the efforts governments have made to combat climate change since the first movie culminating with the signing of the Paris Climate Agreement last year.
The filmmakers said in June this year that the film was due to be re-edited to examine Donald Trump’s withdrawal from the agreement.
Empire magazine gave the movie a three star review saying: “Like many sequels, Truth To Power is bigger but messier than its predecessor. While it doesn’t quite deliver the oomph of the original, it is still a timely, persuasive wake-up call.”
Al Gore met with Donald Trump and his daughter Ivanka after he won the presidency in Trump Tower.
At the time he said: ”I had a lengthy and very productive session with the president-elect. It was a sincere search for areas of common ground.
“I had a meeting beforehand with Ivanka Trump.
“The bulk of the time was with the president-elect, Donald Trump.
“I found it an extremely interesting conversation, and to be continued, and I’m just going to leave it at that.”
Since then Gore appears to have changed his tune saying provocatively: “We’re only six months into the experiment with Trump. Some experiments are ended early for ethical reasons.
“We have a global agreement and the American people are part of this agreement in spite of Donald Trump.”
- 6 Times Donald Trump (Probably) Fabricated Interactions With Other People
- Marianne Williamson wanted to beat Donald Trump with love, but her 2020 presidential run is over
- Al Gore Tells Bill Maher That He Should Have Been President: ‘I Think I Carried Florida’
- Donald Trump says Iran 'appears to be standing down' but vows to hit the regime with 'punishing sanctions' after damp squib revenge rocket attack fails to draw American blood
- Who is running for president in 2020? Donald Trump, and these 15 Democrats
- Donald Trump blames Barack Obama for giving Iran the cash to buy missiles flung at U.S. bases-as he offers to 'embrace peace' and claims Tehran is 'standing down' but warns of 'hypersonic weapons' and 'lethal and fast' attacks
- Welcome to dystopia – George Orwell experts on Donald Trump
- Seth Rogen Talks Making ‘The Disaster Artist’ and the ‘Stupidity’ of Donald Trump Jr.
- Greta Thunberg's secret weapon as she's bullied by Donald Trump and Piers Morgan
- Tom Steyer talks climate change and foreign policy on tour of Iowa
- Foreign media rips into Australia over climate change policy
- MARK ALMOND: Could Donald Trump's retreat from Syria spark a global conflict?
- Donald Trump's 'suspicions' about the plane crash are just one of the remaining flashpoints between the US and Iran
- Bernie Sanders and Ro Khanna Push Anti-War Legislation: Focus on Climate Change, Not Iran
- Steyer vows to declare climate change a national emergency as part of sweeping environmental plan
- Golden Globes 2020: Russell Crowe’s climate change message during Australian bushfires
- All the Latest Songs Protesting Donald Trump’s Inauguration and Raising Money for Charity
- Donald Trump warns Erdoğan he'll see 'far more than sanctions' if Turkey's Syria invasion isn't 'humane' but won't say what that means and he complains that the Kurds 'didn't help us with NORMANDY'
- 'Senators told me it was the greatest presentation they'd ever heard.' Donald Trump sweeps aside angry Republican senator Mike Lee who slammed explanation for killing Qassem Soleimani as 'the worst ever'
- Donald Trump urges House Republicans to vote against 'Crazy Nancy's' bid to limit his powers to wage war on Iran - but does NOT mention that Republican Senate rebels are also backing it
Who is Al Gore, what is his climate change film An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power and what has he said about Donald Trump? have 906 words, post on www.thesun.ie at August 11, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.