Whether you’re on the blue feed or the red feed, chances are you’ve seen reports on Facebook of clashes amongst white nationalist protests Charlottesville, VA which began at the University of Virginia Friday night and moved to Emancipation Park Saturday morning. The governor has declared a state of emergency. Riot gear and tear gas was involved. Several injuries have been reported.
At what was ostensibly a “Unite the Right” rally over the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue, it was also another chapter in the longtime war between white nationalist groups and Anti-fascists, enemies who seek out opposition rallies for sometimes-violent battles. This is undoubtedly one of the biggest clashes yet.
“This is a whole other ball game, I think,” a journalist who’s been covering white nationalists for 15 years told Jezebel. “This is because of the monument, which unites the South (which is proud of its Confederate heritage) with the racists. It’s the perfect storm.”
“I think it’s a game changer for society, for how we’re all going to be dealing with this,” said Philadelphia ANTIFA chapter leader Daryle Lamont Jenkins over the phone from Charlottesville. He says that he’d heard about the rallies long before this morning, and wasn’t able to speak long in the midst of the protests as factions of three or four hundred ANTIFA members were regrouping.
“They’re referring to it as the white supremacist Altamont [the 1969 Woodstock festival which turned violent].”
Unite the Right marchers have reportedly been chanting “White lives matter!” “You will not replace us!” and “Jews will not replace us!” Jezebel was not able to reach members of Black Lives Matter, which was represented in the counter protests, at this time.
“From indications there’s about 1200 on our side with the Nationalist Front, Unite the Right, and all the different groups,” said Butch Urban, chief of staff of the Nationalist Socialist Movement, a nationwide group with roots in the neo-Nazi movement. The NSM is part of the Nationalist Front (originally, the Aryan Nationalist Alliance), including the Traditionalist Worker Party, which is reportedly in Charlottesville.
“If there’s 1200 people down there on our side, it’s not gonna stop,” Urban told me. “Unless they bring in the national guard and completely shut it down.” He’s heard reports that groups from the West Coast, the Dakotas, and Texas have travelled for the event. “It’s not just like it’s over and everybody’s gonna leave.”
These fucks wanna rewrite history and erase the Confederacy from the history books. The Confederate soldiers that fought during the war–they’re US military. They’re in our military cemeteries, they were acknowledged as soldiers even though they fought for the south.
But today isn’t just about removing Confederate monuments and statues and renaming parks. I think people are tired. They’re tired of the bullshit, the political correctness, using our tax dollars to bring in people from Syria and Somalia, all this other stuff with homosexuality.
It’s come to a head, and today’s a prime example.
The protest has been declared an unlawful assembly, and the scene has been cleared for the time being.
If you’re in Charlottesville, please send tips to [email protected]
Update 8/12, 3:11pm EST: The Daily Beast is reporting that a car has plowed into a crowd of anti-racist protesters, injuring at least four.
Update 8/12, 3:38pm EST: The mayor of Charlottesville Mike Signer reports that one person has died in the crash.
Update 8/12, 7:28pm EST: The victim was a 32-year-old woman. The car injured at least 19 others. Governor Terry McAuliffe is urging protesters (“the white supremacists and the Nazis”) to go home.
Update 8/12 7:55pm EST: A police helicopter crashed today seven miles outside of Charlottesville, killing two state police.
Further developments are coming in live from reporters at the scene on Splinter News.
- White nationalist Richard Spencer loses lawyer in lawsuit
- How White Nationalists Lost At The Second Unite The Right Rally
- Supporters Of White Nationalist Richard Spencer Arrested For Allegedly Shooting At Protesters
- Suspect Accused In Deadly Charlottesville, Virginia Car Ramming Faces Judge
- Protests over Confederate statue shake Charlottesville, Virginia
- US President Donald Trump approvingly tweets video showing ‘white power’ chant then deletes after backlash
- Convincing win in Virginia shows strength of Black vote
- US President Donald Trump tweets video with ‘white power’ chant, then deletes it
- The best games for a 4K HDR TV
- Three dead as white supremacists fight anti-fascist campaigners
- A Charlottesville Witness Described The Horrifying Moment A White Supremacist Drove His Car Into A Crowd Of Counterprotesters
- Alt-Right Rally in Charlottesville, Virginia Sparks Riots, State of Emergency Declared
- Ryan Warns Against Partisan Clashes Amid Criticism of Trump Over Charlottesville
- Protesters topple Confederate statue in Virginia capital
- The best Android games currently available (July 2020)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is a year into his second term. He's still the only game in town for India
- Trump tweets video with ‘white power’ chant, then deletes it
- Twitter suspends fake antifa account run by white supremacists
- Only black Republican senator Tim Scott condemns 'terrible' video shared by Donald Trump showing a MAGA fan yelling 'white power' which the president claims he 'didn't hear'
- Donald Trump ‘was unreachable for THREE HOURS after retweeting “white power” video’ because he was playing golf
White Nationalist Clashes in Virginia: 'This Is a Whole Other Ball Game' have 880 words, post on jezebel.com at August 12, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.