Vietnamese people react in a variety of ways when they are stopped by traffic police. Some try to make a run for it, others try to beg or bribe the cops, and those with powerful friends try to pull some strings to get them off the hook.
But this man in Hanoi is possibly the first to set fire to his own motorbike.
Police said they stopped Le Van Quang, 30, on Wednesday for driving an overloaded motorbike a t a crossroads in Hai Ba Trung District.
Quang was unable to present his license papers, so the police issued him a ticket and said they were going to impound his bike.
He duly signed the ticket, but then turned around and set light to the bike.
A video published by online forum Otofun and shared by Vietnam News Agency showed flames engulfing the entire vehicle.
Quang told An Ninh Thu Do that his papers had been seized by police for another traffic violation a month ago.
He said the fines he owed were actually worth more than the bike.
Police have not suggested any charges.
- BMW driver blows through stop sign, slams into another vehicle, killing woman and badly injuring her 9-year-old daughter in Queens
- Driver who shot at cop and took baby hostage shoots self after crime spree
- Georgia police officer retires before he’s fired for saying ‘we only kill black people’ to driver during traffic stop
- Driver wouldn’t let him merge into Costco. He jumped into the other car and attacked, SC police say
- Philando Castile stopped by cops in Minnesota 52 times in past 14 years for a slew of misdemeanors
- In ticketing drivers with pregnant passengers, answer is in 'the spirit of the law': Expert
Vietnamese driver torches motorbike after being stopped by cops have 305 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at August 3, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.