Sometimes, all you want is dessert. A slice of home baked peach pie, a freshly iced cupcake or a cool panna cotta can take away the heat of a sultry mid-summer day.
Here are some options:
Give me Liberty’s panna cotta
Everything is made in house at Liberty Street Bistro in Newburgh, said owner Michael Kelly, a Culinary Institute of America grad. On a warm summer evening, try the coconut panna cotta or the crème brulee trio (on a recent visit the flavors were white chocolate, huckleberry and jasmine). We were just looking for a bite of something sweet and this dessert was just right, and perfect for two to share, with an excellent cup of coffee on the side.
Go: 97 Liberty St., Newburgh, 845-562-3900, libertystreetbistro.com
Try something traditional
Diners come to Saigon Noodle Bar for the pho, a long-simmered noodle soup that is a street-food staple in Vietnam. It comes in a large bowl laden with vermicelli noodles and a deeply flavorful and fragrant broth.
But there are also sweets to be had, specifically Che Ba Mau, or three-color bean dessert, a traditional and colorful Vietnamese dessert that includes rainbow beans and coconut.
Go: 1582 Route 9, Wappingers Falls, 845-765-2100
Locally grown goodness
All of the desserts at Crew Bar & Restaurant are made in house, except for the gelatos and sorbets, which come from Artigiani del Gelato in Rhinebeck.
As much as he can, year-round, chef Tom Kacherski turns to local Hudson Valley ingredients and purveyors. Plus he has two organic gardens behind the restaurant so his desserts reflect the season, like his local strawberry and rhubarb cobbler. Other options include Chocolate Lava Cake, butterscotch pudding, crème brulee and cheesecake.
Go: 2290 Route 9, Poughkeepsie, 845-462-8900, crewrestaurant.com
Go right to the source: The CIA
The Apple Pie Bakery Café serves as the go-to breakfast and lunch spot for students and visitors to The Culinary Institute of America. While most of the school’s restaurants require a reservation, the café is perfect for an impromptu meal or a pastry to-go.
Guests can either grab a full meal in the dining room or stop in the take-out section to grab something quick, alleviating the overall wait. And there is lots to choose, from cookies and tarts to brioche, doughnuts and cakes.
Go: The Culinary Institute of America, 1946 Campus Drive, Hyde Park, 845-905-4500, http://www.applepiebakerycafe.com/
Oh yeah, peach pie
The counter at The Matchbox Cafe in Rhinebeck is covered with an array of delectable cakes, pies and oversized cookies and brownies. Order what you want, and then find a seat.
The pies are seasonal and right now include peach and strawberry-rhubarb; there are homemade ice cream sandwiches, carrot cake, Rice Krispy treats, fancy cupcakes and Schmoogies, which are like giant chocolate Oreos dipped in ganache.
Plan on taking home a sweet or two, maybe the Butterfinger brownie. What’s not to like about a big fudgy brownie with bits of Butterfinger candy bars mixed in?
Go: 6242 Route 9, Rhinebeck, 845-876-3911
Cupcakes and cake balls
Gina Vaccarino is a self-taught chef and baker who is known for her cake balls: These little round cake balls encased in chocolate frosting are a perfect sweet bite after a sandwich, priced at $1 each. Vaccarino said she changes the cake flavors frequently — right now the flavors include coconut, blackberry, red velvet and carrot cake.
She also makes a Nutella pastry — layers of puff pastry, with hazelnut-cocoa Nutella spread in the middle and drizzled chocolate ganache on top. If you need something extra to take home, packages of cookies (chocolate chip, double chocolate chunk, Snickerdoodles and sugar cookies) are priced at $3.50.
Go: 138 Main St., New Paltz, NY, 845-255-3324, thecakeartistcafe.com
Read more local restaurant news:
- Five Essential Retro Sweets You Must Stock in Your Traditional Sweetshop
- Restaurant Management Tips - Boost Dessert Sales
- 3 Simple Ways to Eat Your Dessert and Naturally Cure Your GERD (Acid Reflux)
- Licorice Treats
- Who Else Wants to Discover the Amazing Secrets of How to Use Bible Scriptures to Help Lose Weight?
- How to Make the Best Coffee Cake
- Lose Pure Body Fat, Not Just Pounds
- Birthday Cake - Make it Yourself
- How to Make No Bake Cookies
- A Wine Lover's Weekly Review of $10 Wines - A Baden Gewurtztraminer
- Weight Loss Foods - 3 Secret Tips on How to Make Your Favorite Dishes - Great Weight Loss Recipes
- How to Do a Detox Diet - Master Cleanse
- Different Mixtures For Bundt Cake Pans
- Ask Kate About Beer: What are pastry stouts?
- Cure For Overeating - How to Stop Yourself From Eating (3 Tips)
- Ice Wine is For the Wicked
- 10 Ways to Use a Personalized Candy Bar That You Probably Never Would've Thought of Before
- Practical Dietary Considerations
- South Beach Diet Plans - Tried and True, South Beach Diet Shines Through
- South Beach Diet - Don't Count Calories, Count on The Diet
Just desserts: When all you want is a little something sweet have 822 words, post on www.poughkeepsiejournal.com at August 10, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.