Visitors to HCM City on Nguyễn Huệ Street in District 1. – VNS File PhotoViet Nam News HCM CITY – Special policies are needed to help HCM City develop faster and better, thus contributing more to the country’s development, Nguyễn Thiện Nhân, secretary of HCM City’s Party Committee, has said. The city’s population rose from 3.4 million in 1975 to 8.9 million in 2016, and the figure is expected to increase to over 10 million by 2019. Today, the city’s population is six times higher than the average population of each province (1.5 million), accounting for more than 9.1 per cent of Việt Nam’s population, Nhân said at a HCM City Party Committee meeting held last week. The city’s population density is 4,000 people per sq.km, while the average population density of provinces across the country is only 280 people per sq km. “The figure in HCM City is expected to increase sharply in coming years,” Nhân said, adding that the rise in population had worsened traffic congestion. Because of the huge increase in population, HCM City now produces a massive volume of waste, 15 times higher than the average amount in other provinces. The demand for clean water in… Read full this story
- HCM City’s climate to worsen by 2050
- The numbers are in: SF homeless population rose 30% since 2017
- The Challenge of a Huge Latin American Migration Surge is Coming. So is the Opportunity | Opinion
- How lawmakers are upending the California lifestyle to fight a housing shortage
- The Former U.S. ISIS Envoy on Trump and the Crisis in Syria
- A mission for journalism in a time of crisis
- Global governance reform at core of Xi's G20 summit speech, say experts
- 'What can I do to help elephants?'
- The 'Humanity First' Candidate
- 'This Week' Transcript: House Majority Leader Eric Cantor
City needs development policies as population surges have 315 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at August 25, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.