SUVA, Fiji (AP) Fiji beat Scotland for the first time in 19 years by 27-22 in a thrilling rugby test at the National Stadium on Saturday.
Flyhalf Ben Volavola kicked over 17 points, from five penalties and converting one of Fiji’s two tries as the home side led throughout to hold out Scotland, which was coming off a win over Australia last weekend.
Peceli Yato scored a first-half try for Fiji after Volavola’s crosskick was claimed by Patrick Osborne, who beat one defender before handing off to Yato.
With a forward each in the sin-bin, Scotland replied with a try to hooker Ross Ford, whose 110th appearance eclipsed Chris Paterson as Scotland’s most capped player.
But Fiji took an 11-7 lead to halftime, and Volavola’s third penalty made it 14-7 before Scotland drew level with a converted try by fullback Ruaridh Jackson.
After an exchange of penalties left the game tied at 17, replacement scrumhalf Henry Seniloli scored the match-winning try from a break by standout player Leone Nakarawa, who beat three defenders. Volavola converted and added a further penalty to give Fiji the cushion of a 10-point lead at 27-17.
Replacement hooker Fraser Marshall scored a late try from a lineout drive which briefly raised Scotland’s hopes but Fiji held on to post a famous win, only its second in seven tests with the Scots.
Fiji will take huge confidence into next month’s Pacific Nations Cup which also acts as a qualifying series for the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
Had Scotland won a third straight match under new coach Gregor Townsend, it would have lifted its world ranking to four.
- London Bridge attack: 19-year-old arrested in raids
- Russian bombers intercepted off Alaska for second time this year
- M25 road rage killer Kenneth Noye WILL be freed from jail after 19 years
- Philadelphia Police: 19-Year-Old Woman Critically Wounded In Double Shooting In Fairhill
- President of Louisiana bible college is arrested for 'sexually assaulting 19-year-old male student' on a flight from Israel to New Jersey
- Here are 16 places celebrating Indigenous Peoples Day for the first time this year
- Newman and Wake’s 3rd down plays beat BC 27-24
- Taking Stock: Nifty closes below 12K for the first time since Nov 22; time to buy?
- Blue Devils end season on a high note; beat Miami 27-17.
- The Making Of “Homer At The Bat,” The Episode That Conquered Prime Time 20 Years Ago Tonight
- Stat pack: Federer holds off 19-year-old Tiafoe in 5 sets
- Scotland's prisons 'bursting at seams' as many over capacity
- Edinburgh International Book festival celebrates 30 years
- Election 2017: Scotland's result in numbers
- Police Scotland at five: Tragedy, triumph and turmoil
- Week ahead: Ministerial statement on Scotland's prisons
- NHS Scotland filled more than 1,000 medical training posts in 2019
- Is Scotland finally set to bid farewell to the union?
- Creative Scotland restores funding to five companies
- Creative Scotland board members resign following funding row
Fiji beats Scotland 27-22 for first time in 19 years have 464 words, post on www.foxsports.com at June 23, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.