The day has come. Ellen DeGeneres has been dethroned as the queen of Twitter. And, she’s been dethroned by someone who, until he decided to tweet at the Wendy’s account, had about 150 followers.
As of 9:39 A.M. EST on May 9, the count stood at 3,430,270 for Carter Wilkerson to 3,430,243 for Ellen.
In case you haven’t been following, here’s how the story goes: Carter Wilkerson Tweeted at the famously sassy Wendy’s asking how many retweets it would take him to get free chicken nuggets for an entire year. The fast food restaurant replied that the magic number was 18 million. Wilkerson said, “Consider it done,” and pleaded with the Internet for help:
HELP ME PLEASE. A MAN NEEDS HIS NUGGS pic.twitter.com/4SrfHmEMo3
— Carter Wilkerson (@carterjwm) April 6, 2017
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) March 3, 2014
The Internet came through for Wilkerson big time. In less than a week, Wilkerson had racked up 2.5 million retweets, which is not close to the 18 million he needs, but was very close to overtaking Ellen DeGeneres‘s Oscars selfie, which at that time held the record with 3.2 million retweets.
She noticed, and decided to take action in the form of a PSA with Bradley Cooper, who took, and was in the selfie. They asked everyone to retweet Wilkerson so that he could possibly reach his goal, but also to retweet their tweet so that they wouldn’t lose their title.
Then, she invited Wilkerson on her show to call a truce of sorts. In exchange for his asking his retweeters to retweet the Oscars selfie, she gave him a big screen TV, a year’s supply of Ellen underwear, and a warning. If Wilkerson’s tweet surpassed hers, she’d come to his house and take back the gifts, and more, though she didn’t specify what that would be.
Twitter users had a different idea, By April 26th, Wilkerson was only about 140,000 tweets behind DeGeneres. Both tweets were, and are, still garnering retweets, but Wilkerson’s moved up much faster.
His tweet doesn’t feature the likes of Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Brad Pitt, and Julia Roberts. It’s literally just about chicken nuggets. And, while it’s not what Wendy’s originally asked for, they’ll be giving Wilkerson the nuggets anyway. He’s earned it. Plus, they’re going to donate $100,000 to the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption.
— Wendy’s (@Wendys) May 9, 2017
Nicely done, Carter.
[featured image via screen grab]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
- A record-setting day for Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce
- With Tony Parker controlling things down stretch, Hornets top Nuggets
- India Launches Record 104 Satellites On A Single Rocket
- The Nuggets will play the Clippers, Spurs or Thunder in the first round. Who do they want most?
- Nuggets roar into playoffs for first time in 6 years
- Warriors score record 51 points in 1st quarter in win over Nuggets
- Nuggets vs. Lakers odds, line: NBA picks, predictions from model on 52-37 roll
- Hugh Freeze’s ‘violations’ tweet inspired years of emails to Ole Miss
- NBA Playoffs 2019: Nuggets vs. Blazers odds, picks, Game 1 predictions from proven model on 84-57 roll
- Sacramento Kings tweet out notes to every NBA team for Valentine's Day, and some of them are cold-blooded
- NBA playoffs scores, highlights, results: Magic shock Raptors; Warriors crush Clippers; Nets sink 76ers; Spurs top Nuggets
- NBA scores, highlights: Nuggets beat Raptors behind huge game from Jokic; Steph Curry goes off in Warriors blowout
- Kings show their love to NBA teams in Valentine’s Day tweets
- Records tumble at Yarmouth and District Athletic Club’s Reedham 10k
- “Who do we want to be?”: Nuggets facing hard truths as playoffs approach
- NBA roundup: Nuggets snap Raptors' win streak
- More Than Just Parts
- Raiders agree to record deal with OT Trent Brown 9 minutes into 'tampering period'
- Russell Westbrook breaks Wilt Chamberlain's 51-year-old record
- Kansas hired Les Miles just in time, now we'll find out if he can create wins along with buzz
That Tweet About Chicken Nuggets Just Broke Ellen DeGeneres’s Record have 691 words, post on www.mediaite.com at May 8, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.